Red Velvet Cupcakes

This is my contribution to Foodie Friday this week.

I ran across this mix at Sur La Table and couldn’t pass it up!

Conflicting information and urban legends abound on the origin of Red Velvet Cake, but no one disputes its beautiful red color.

The package directions said it made 10 cupcakes, but I easily got 12 out of the box

In addition to the box mix, you need 2 eggs, water, 2 sticks of butter (6 Tablespoons for the batter & 6 Tablespoons for the icing) and 8 oz. of cream cheese.

Of course, this is not my favorite kind of cupcake…

THIS is my favorite kind of cupcake

Here’s hoping there is some sort of cupcake in your future this Valentine’s weekend…

Be sure to visit Designs by Gollum for other Foodie Friday Favorites!

8 comments for “Red Velvet Cupcakes

1. February 12, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Red Velvet Cupcakes in a mix? Cupcake Vineyards? Life just got a whole lot better!

I googled to see where it is located and when it told me in Monterey, California I jumped for joy. And only $13 for the Chardonnay with a big thumbs up from Wine Spectator for the 2007 pressing. Honey, I am in cupcake heaven!

2. February 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I LOVE this! Soooo dreamy & delicious looking… the cupcake, too… HVDay & love to you, Annie

3. February 12, 2010 at 5:01 pm

So the “red” is in the mix? I love Ina’s recipes, so I’m sure her mixes are excellent.
    Happy Valentine’s Day.

ButterYum

4. February 12, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I can find it for $9.99 in my grocery store!

5. February 12, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Yes! Pretty good for something so simple. Happy Valentine’s to you!

6. February 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I could be wrong but I think Red Velvet cakes in general are an American dessert. I grew up eating lots of fresh baking but I never heard of red velvet cake until I started my blog a year ago and started running across it. And we certainly don’t have a mix here (in B.C., Canada) but I’m excited to try my hand at these from scratch one day.

7. February 13, 2010 at 2:00 am

I like making red velvet cupcakes for Valentine’s Day. My grand-daughters LOVE!!! them.
    Geri

8. February 15, 2010 at 11:13 pm

These look so good……….and very pretty.

Hope you had a good Valentine’s day!

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,418 other followers