Muffuletta Dip

Muffuletta Dip

Muffuletta Dip, inspired on the quintessential New Orleans sandwich of cured meats, cheese and tangy olive salad, is a quick appetizer to throw together for a taste of the Big Easy to celebrate Mardi Gras!

A crowd-pleaser recipe that can be made ahead, it comes together in 10 minutes, with a minimum of 1 hour chilling time up to 24 hours, allowing the flavors to meld.

Muffuletta Dip,

adapted from Southern Living

This recipe makes approximately 4 cups and be easily adjusted.

Ingredients

1 cup Italian olive salad, drained (I substituted Giardiniera and  added some chopped green olives and capers since I couldn’t find Italian olive salad)

1 cup diced salami (about 4 oz.)

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup chopped pepperoncini salad peppers

1 (2 1/4-oz.) can sliced black olives, drained (I used 2 cans)

4 ounces provolone cheese, diced

1 celery rib, finely chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

*1 tablespoons olive oil (* I added a little Newman’s Parmesan & Roasted Garlic Dressing that I use for orzo salad)

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Serve with: French bread crostini or pita chips

Preparation

Stir together first 9 ingredients. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours before serving. Stir in parsley just before serving. Serve with French bread crostini or pita chips. Store leftovers in refrigerator up to 5 days.

Leftovers make a tasty addition to cooked pasta and Italian dressing for a quick Muffuletta pasta salad, or can be used to top a pizza crust or flat bread, with grated provolone or mozzarella cheese for a Muffuletta pizza!

You can find a printable recipe, here.

Marvelous Mondays,  Metamorphosis Monday,

The ScoopInspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us WednesdaysFoodie FridayHome Sweet Home,

Be Inspired FridaySeasonal Sundays

27 comments for “Muffuletta Dip

1. February 28, 2014 at 6:16 am

There is a restaurant that serves muffuletta rolls with tomato soup that is wonderful! I’ll use your recipe and see if I can duplicate their rolls ;o)

2. February 28, 2014 at 6:33 am

This sounds like a great crowd pleaser. I would add marinated artichoke hearts to this. Yum!

3. February 28, 2014 at 7:07 am

Marinated artichoke ♥s would be great Michelle, let me know if you make it :)

4. February 28, 2014 at 8:23 am

What a perfect dip without all the fuss of having to make the sandwiches. Here you would get all the flavor and texture but not all the heavy bread. You come up with the best inspiration, Mary! xo

5. February 28, 2014 at 9:26 am

I am going to make this. Sounds wonderful!

6. February 28, 2014 at 9:32 am

OMGosh! Last year,I made muffuletta sandwiches for the first time, and made a total pig of myself. Your muffuletta dip looks amazing! I’m definitely making this!
    Don’t be surprised if you hear me “oinking” all the way to NC. :)

7. February 28, 2014 at 9:42 am

Anything that takes only 10 minutes to make is definitely on my list!

8. BamaCarol
    February 28, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I have a women’s retreat next weekend and am so making this with my homemade pita chips to take.Thanks for the recipe!

9. Lynn@Happier Than A Pig In Mud
    February 28, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Pass the bowl please! I think you may have heard a rumor that I love me some dips (and I don’t mean Earl:@)

10. February 28, 2014 at 7:49 pm

This sounds fabulous!!! I will definitely make this for our Mardi Gras party at the clubhouse!!!! Thanks!!! beautifully styled as always!!!!

11. February 28, 2014 at 8:52 pm

This is a fantastic recipe…and great for the two of us as I know hubby will eat it “as is”…he is gluten free (by choice) and this is the type of dish he loves!…
    Beautiful presentation Mary…Have a wonderful weekend!

12. March 1, 2014 at 12:46 am

Looks like a festive dish. Will try this one for certain, Mary. Thanks!

13. CakeWhiz
    March 1, 2014 at 1:39 am

Surprisingly, I had never heard of this dip until just now but it looks fantastic! I can’t wait to serve this at my next dinner party :)
    – Abeer @ http://www.cakewhiz.com

14. March 1, 2014 at 8:25 am

Gotta make this for my family when we all get together to put in hardwood floors in our family room. This looks fabulously delicious! I get the best recipes from you, Mary!

15. Carol
    March 1, 2014 at 10:16 am

The dip looks wonderful … will definitely make this soon. Also, love the presentation, especially the chicken wire serving bowl. Could you share the source for that, please, Mary?

16. March 1, 2014 at 10:22 am

Thanks Carol! I found it at HomeGoods :)

17. March 1, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Hi Mary, I had to research “muffuletta” because I only first heard that word in one of your recent posts! Now that I see it I would like to pluck one of those pita chips and take a huge scoop of it right through the screen! This looks delicious! Have a wonderful weekend. Linda

18. March 1, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I loved Central Grocery Muffaletta Sandwich so much I made the cab driver stop by on the way to the airport, so I could have another before returning home. This dip is a must make. And could it be any prettier?

19. March 1, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Neat idea. I’ve never been a fan of the sandwich but I think I’d like it as a dip. You find the best ideas in Southern Living and bring them to life.

– Alma, The Tablescaper

20. March 2, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I’ll be leftovers would taste great stuffed in a pita pocket too! This sounds great, Mary!

21. Susan
    March 2, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Can’t find the Newman’s roasted garlic dressing, any other suggestions? Would it be good without it? This looks so good I can’t wait to try!

22. March 2, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Looks delicious! I LOVE muffulettas! I hope you come share this at the Wednesday Roundup!

23. March 3, 2014 at 10:15 am

I love Muffulettas, and have been wanting to make one all month~what a great idea to deconstruct it! Your chips look especially good too! Who needs french bread when you can cut to the chase with all the yummy filling!
    Perfect for Fat Tuesday munching! Great ideas for using the leftovers too, thanks Mary~

24. Rattlebridge Farm
    March 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm

This recipe summons my Louisiana roots. I love the flavors…they evoke New Orleans’ memories. (I hope the snowstorm misses you! My husband didn’t get to the hospital until noon, thanks to icy roads. Stay warm!) xxoo

25. March 6, 2014 at 12:15 pm

One of the early recipes I tried out as a young bride was a muffuletta in a loaf. Hubby didn’t love it much, but I think he has matured in his tastes since then. I should try it again. (He said he was a meat and potatoes man and I said, “Well, you married the wrong woman!”)

26. March 6, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Came back for the recipe, party is tomorrow night:)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,374 other followers