Puppy Love Pops

When my copy of Cupcakes, Cookies & Pie, Oh, My! arrived I couldn’t wait to play with the fun ideas in this book~ Karen Tack & Alan Richardson’s third book does not disappoint!

“Two million copies later, the New York Times best-selling authors of Hello, Cupcake! and What’s New, Cupcake? are back, applying their oversized imaginations not just to cupcakes but to cookies, pies, cakes, and other treats.

But they don’t stop at cupcakes. No sweet treat is safe from their ingenuity: refrigerator cookies, pound cakes, pie dough, cheesecakes, bar cookies, and Jell-O are all transformed into amazing and playful desserts. There’s something for everybody in this book, and every single item you need can be found in the neighborhood supermarket or convenience store.”

My book came the day after Valentine’s Day so I dog-eared :) the Puppy Love Pops page right away ~

I’m sharing a sweet idea for a cake pop before February slips away~ using candy conversation hearts I picked up on sale after Valentine’s Day.

Ingredients needed for Puppy Love Pops:

Frozen Sara Lee Pound Cake, thawed

1 can each Vanilla & Chocolate Frosting

Crushed Graham Cracker & Chocolate Cookie Crumbs

Kraft Soft Caramels & Tootsie Rolls for ears~

Conversation Hearts for tongues

Red Candy (Red Hots or M&M’s) for noses

Mini Chocolate Chips for eyes (not pictured)

Plastic Forks for serving

2 inch Heart-shaped Cookie Cutter

Cut hearts from thawed Sara Lee pound cake~

I couldn’t quite get two out of each 1 inch slice of cake.

Insert tines of a plastic fork (carefully to prevent breaking cake) into the top of cake heart to secure and freeze hearts for 15 minutes~

Mix canned vanilla frosting and ¼ cup chocolate frosting to make a light brown shade~  microwave & stir frequently until the texture is lightly whipped cream ( 20 – 30 seconds) so you can smoothly coat the cake heart and the excess frosting can drip back into bowl. You can microwave  5 – 10 seconds more as needed if frosting becomes too thick for dipping (as it is here when I was busy taking photos).

Sprinkle graham cracker & chocolate cookie crumbs on dipped heart~ adding a red candy nose & attaching the candy heart for the tongue while the frosting is wet.

DSC_0143

DSC_0173

Microwave Caramels and Tootsie Rolls 3 seconds each, rolling out with a rolling pin between pieces of wax paper into a 2 inch oval. Cut ovals into teardrop shaped ears and attach ears with frosting.

Use dots of vanilla frosting to attach

mini chocolate chips for eyes~

You could always substitute fruit chews that you can microwave and shape to create candy tongues. . . Tootsie Rolls, Laffy Taffy, Starburst~ in cherry, strawberry or watermelon flavors.

DSC_0142

There are lots of fun techniques & treats in this book~ I’ve just never been able to resist puppies and I was able to share them with two adorable girls who can’t resist them either :)

“To all the folks who never pass a bakeshop, a candy store, or a cookie aisle without feeling the urge to go in, to anyone who sees treasure in putting a smile on someone’s face, and to everyone clever enough to realize that the kitchen is the very best place to play, this book is for you.”

puppy love pops

Valentine Puppy Love Pops

Marvelous Mondays, Metamorphosis Monday,

The Scoop,  Inspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us Wednesdays,  Foodie Friday

30 comments for “Puppy Love Pops

1. February 27, 2012 at 9:05 am

Those are the absolute cutest “pops” I have ever seen….I am off to order that book so that I can make them for my granddaughter who is such a dog lover…

2. February 27, 2012 at 9:16 am

These are adorable! Thanks for sharing.

xo,
    Ricki Jill

3. February 27, 2012 at 9:23 am

So cute, Mary! Great fun for the grandchildren.

4. February 27, 2012 at 10:01 am

Nobody likes to play with their food more than you, Mary! These are A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!!! I had the first “Hello Cupcake” book & it looks like I’ll need to get this one, too. Yours are just darling & such wonderful photographs.
    I’m pinning!!!

5. February 27, 2012 at 10:03 am

Wow! I can’t even imagine the time and patience involved here. Very cute and very impressive!

6. February 27, 2012 at 12:09 pm

You did a wonderful job! I’m always so impressed with people who do such great jobs on the first time. Mine surly won’t look like that, but I will try. I’m going back to California to visit some of the grandchildren next week. These will surely be part of the fun. Thanks.

7. February 27, 2012 at 12:27 pm

how cute cute cute! i put this on my wish list and forgot to follow through, how fun to see yours! another stellar job on fun, who let the dogs out, woof woof, come on, sing it with me now, who let the dogs out WOOF WOOF!

8. February 27, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Mary, you do know how to have fun in the kitchen. These are adorable! I admire you creative energy. I need to order this book for my sister. Her grands would think this lots of fun, and she, like you would make these.

9. Happier Than A Pig in Mud
    February 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Aw so cute! This does really sound like a fun book and it’s good to see someone make something from it that turned out great:@)

10. Debbie@Mountain Breaths
    February 27, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Too cute! I always look forward to your posts since you are always doing something cute, beautiful or fun!

11. February 27, 2012 at 8:15 pm

These are just adorable and a lot of fun! Thank you! Sharing with my nieces who have smaller kids!

12. February 27, 2012 at 10:16 pm

These are so cute! My daughter would get a huge kick out of these.

13. February 28, 2012 at 12:30 am

I am first time here, and I need to tell you, I am so impressed! you have a lovely blog. And those puppy-love-pops are just adorable.

14. February 28, 2012 at 1:15 am

Leave it to you to create fun & wonderful photos with some of the darndest things! What a good time you must have had. Been off traveling & a so far behind. But, I’ve missed my blogging friends. Just had to stop in to say hello. Also, loved the camelia post. HUGS!
    Charlene & Elle.

15. Pondside
    February 28, 2012 at 1:35 am

I can think of a couple of little boys who would be so happy to find a couple of those pups at a birthday party.

16. February 28, 2012 at 10:33 am

Oh, these are just precious! They do look like a lot of work though. I think I am going to have to make these for the little people in my life. Thanks for sharing these and the info on the book. I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

17. February 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

What adorable treats, who could resist these?
    What fun.

18. February 28, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Those are so adorably cute, Mary! I’m pinning this to my Nana Love Board on Pinterest!

19. February 28, 2012 at 6:37 pm

These would be so fun to do with doggie loving friends!

20. February 28, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Oh my gosh, Mary, if those aren’t the cutest things!!! You sure having fun playing with food. I have their second cookbook, but I’d better check this one out.

21. Pat
    February 28, 2012 at 10:27 pm

The Puppy Love Pops are adorable! How does Karen Tack & Alan Richardson keep coming up with such fun food designs? I love them! This book sounds like one I have to buy. Thanks, Mary for the preview.

22. February 29, 2012 at 4:27 am

Mary, these look like so much fun!!! I just recently purchased a Cricut Cake Mini AND the Cake Pops book written by Bakerella…so I should be spending time playing in my kitchen! NOBODY makes food look as good as you do!! These Puppy Love Pops are so cute!!! Hugs to Chloe and Gracie!

23. March 2, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Mary, these truly are adorable. I saw this book at our Barnes and Noble last week; looks like it’s full of of fun ideas. :)

Denise

24. March 3, 2012 at 12:27 pm

You are amazing! I love these too!

25. March 3, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I love this idea.The puppy looks so cute and it would be so fun to put them together. I found your blog through sweets for Saturday :).

26. Wende
    January 19, 2013 at 10:10 am

I just got a new puppy. I am so making these in his honor for all his new fans :) for Valentine’s Day this year. Thanks for the great tutorial. Oh, he is my newest Yorkie-Poo, joining two sisters. His name is Page.

27. val
    January 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm

These are adorable.

28. January 29, 2014 at 9:34 am

TOOO Cute!! I love it. I would love to have you hop over and share with us at Tell Me About It Tuesday! (http://www.sweetsillysara.com/2014/01/tell-me-about-it-tuesday-3.html)

Comments are closed.