Merry Cranberry Salsa
An easy and healthy holiday appetizer that's a little sweet and a little tart~ add another jalapeño pepper to turn up the heat!
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries thawed (I used the whole 12-oz. package of fresh cranberries)
- 1 small Gala Fuji, or Braeburn apple, cubed
- 1 medium size jalapeño pepper seeded and quartered (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 of finely chopped shallot
- Juice of one lime
- Juice of half an orange
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro optional
Pulse the cranberries, apple, and jalapeño pepper in food processor until coarsely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
Transfer to a bowl; stir in shallot and cilantro if desired.
Add sugar and remaining ingredients, stirring well.
Cover and chill 2 – 24 hours, the color will deepen the longer it chills. Stir before serving with sweet potato chips or cinnamon sugar pita chips.
Makes approximately 2 ½ cups, so you may need to double this for a crowd!