Citrus Marinated Shrimp Appetizer
A make-ahead appetizer with the bright flavors of citrus and tangy vinegar that’s perfect to pair with heavier foods. Use a time-saving short cut with cooked shrimp from the seafood counter.
- 2 lbs. cooked large shrimp peeled and deveined, tails left on (I used 26 – 30 count)
- 1 1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar may substitute apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Zest and juice from 1 large orange
- Zest and juice from 1 large lemon
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulbs
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves chopped
- Serve with:
- 1 -2 navel oranges peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon and/or 1 lime peeled and thinly sliced
- Garnish with fennel fronds
In bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar and salt, stirring until dissolved. Stir in oil, citrus zests and juices, parsley and thyme.
Layer cooked shrimp with fennel and onion in gallon size plastic ziptop bag. Pour marinade ingredients over shrimp and seal bag, placing in refrigerator to marinate 4 hours, massaging and turning bag occasionally.
After 4 hours strain shrimp, fennel and onion from marinade.
Serve on platter or in bowl with peeled orange, lemon and lime slices. Garnish with fennel fronds.
- Use your preferred method to cook your shrimp. I like Ina’s oven roasted method as opposed to boiling them: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-shrimp-cocktail-recipe-1943915
- Here’s a short cut alternative and tip for the busy holiday season: Purchase shrimp that have already been cooked—in a bag from the freezer section, by the pound at the seafood counter, or even in the form of a cocktail shrimp ring. I purchased cooked frozen, peeled, deveined tail-on shrimp at the grocery store. Thaw frozen shrimp according to package directions.
- Best after 4 – 6 hours. The combination of citrus and vinegar will continue to “cook” the shrimp if left in the marinade longer, making them rubbery. Remove shrimp from marinade after 4 - 6 hours and return to refrigerator if not ready to serve.