Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake
Cinnamon rolls meet French Toast in this easy and crowd-pleasing casserole, for breakfast or brunch, with only 10 minutes of prep time!
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 cans Pillsbury Grands Cinnamon Rolls with Icing - (17.5oz/5ct)
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Icing from cinnamon rolls
- Optional: Chopped pecans Powdered sugar, maple syrup, if desired
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with nonstick spray.
Separate cans of dough into rolls; set icing aside. Cut each roll into 6 – 8 pieces; place pieces in dish.
In medium bowl, beat eggs. Add half and half, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla and pinch of salt until well blended; gently pour over roll pieces.
Sprinkle with chopped pecans if desired.
Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown and egg mixture is set. Cool 15 minutes.
Remove covers from icing; microwave on medium (50%) 10 to 15 seconds or until thin enough to drizzle.
Drizzle icing over top. Serve with the additional maple syrup if desired.
- Using room temperature eggs insures egg mixture cooks and sets in center.An easy method bring cold eggs to room temperature is to put them in a bowl and cover them with warm tap water. Allow them to sit 5 – 10 minutes.
- Test for doneness with tip of knife in center of casserole. Cover top of casserole with foil during last minutes of baking time to prevent overbrowning and allow center to cook through if needed.
- Add 1 cup chopped pecans to top of cinnamon roll mix before baking.
- Add 3 – 4 cups fruit to bottom of baking dish, keeping fruit in a single layer (I used cut peaches and blueberries) before adding cut rolls.
- Original recipe calls for 1 cup syrup in egg mixture but we found it sweet enough with the icing. I added 3 tablespoons of sugar to the eggs mixture. Adjust to your sweet tooth.
- Recipe can be easily halved for smaller crowd and baked in 9 x 9 pan.
- Original recipe calls for heavy cream. I used half and half but feel free to substitute almond milk or 2% milk if desired.
- Mix up more cream cheese glaze to serve and supplement cinnamon roll icing if desired.