Catch of the Day

I’m tackling a little tabletop fishing~ after a week with family at Harbor Island surf & pier fishing~

My mother-in-law’s fish planter is angling to function as a wine chiller for this Pinot Grigio I was able to catch ~

I cast a look into my husband’s grandfather’s tackle box for a couple of old reels & lures for the table. . .

Our surf fishing landed a few small sharks. . .

A trip to Stein Mart landed some green & blue fish that I fell for hook, line & sinker. . .

We catch our bait with a cast net. . .

I usually catch up on my reading while I catch some rays :-)

And there is always “the one” that got away at the pier . . .

Fishing always nets a few surprises. . .

While sharks & stingrays were plentiful, imagine my surprise when I reeled in a PureHeart Seedless~

I chose to release my catch of all its watermelon goodness :-)

You can find directions to reel in your own here.

There are plenty of other fish in the sea, in the way of watermelon inspiration, at the National Watermelon Promotion Board’s site here.

Catch of the Day details:

Fish plates/ Vitali from Stein Mart

Dinner plates/ Oneida Westerly Basket

Tablecloth/ Food Network for Kohl’s

Chargers, Napkins & Flatware / World Market

Blue Goblets/ Dollar Tree

Napkin Rings/ Pottery Barn

Thank you for your visit, I’m happy to be joining :

36 comments for “Catch of the Day

1. July 31, 2011 at 5:43 am

What a FUN FISHY adventure, Mary! I can’t decide which I like more…the shots of the table or the ones of the guys & their catches. LOL It looks like they were having a ball. Yuck on that stingray, though. ~~shudder~~

LOVE your new blue & green fish plates! Your watermelon creation is soooo creative & I got a “reel” chuckle out of all your verbal puns. I like how your mind works.

Hugs,
    Rett

2. July 31, 2011 at 7:29 am

The colors of this post are fabulous Mary.

Absolutely love all the photos! Fun times!

That watermelon is amazing. Very creative!

3. July 31, 2011 at 7:52 am

Mary, You truly have one of the prettiest blogs around. I always love stopping by to see your latest photos. Your tablescapes amaze me…beautiful photography…..and subjects :)

Stop by my blog and see what the surf fishermen caught while I was at Nags Head last week!!

Fondly, Donna

4. July 31, 2011 at 9:55 am

That watermelon creation is fabulous!!!! And it looks so yummy! I love fruit. LOVE your new fish plates and the tablecloth. I have a fish like you used as a wine holder, thanks for that idea!!!!Your tables ALWAYS inspire and I love how you write!!!! Have a restful Sunday! XO, Pinky

5. July 31, 2011 at 10:09 am

Hi Mary, what a fabulously refreshing post. Your tables never disappoint. xo,

6. July 31, 2011 at 10:16 am

you have that ability, with your photography and design skills, to make you feel like you are there (with yo)u enjoying the beach and good eats!

7. July 31, 2011 at 10:54 am

its amazing how you keep reeling in these tables…

its like they just jump right out the water for you!

i love how you school us with your talent

i am going to wade in and say that pureheart is truly the cutest catch of the day!

gracias for all you beauty miss mary, i love living large and in color with you~

8. July 31, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Mary —
    Be. Yond. Cute.
    I always get excited when I see a new tablescape from you, because you are THE BEST at detail.
    Extemely creative!
    Linda @ A Toile Tale

9. July 31, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Hi, Mary!!! This is a really creative tablesetting!!! I love the melon whale!!! That is so incredibly unique!!! The whole table is absolutely gorgeous!!! I am so happy to know you are having a wonderful summer spent with loved ones! I hope this final month of summer brings you nothing but love, joy and happiness. Take care, and I’ll talk to you soon!

10. July 31, 2011 at 2:53 pm

This is such fun! Love all your catches of the day. Those fish dishes are WONDERFUL! LOVE. And the centerpiece fish I adore. What a great watermelon fish as well. This was all so creative. Thanks and thanks for your sweet visit as well.

11. July 31, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Another fun, clever and creative post! I’ve said it before, but here it goes again….You need to publish a book!!!

12. Carolyn
    July 31, 2011 at 5:41 pm

One of my favorite tables so far. Since my daddy got me instead of a son, he tried to instill his love of fishing and hunting into me. I used to love to fish and remember him carrying me across the creek when the water was too deep for me. We always had fresh brown trout in the freezer.
    Love the fish plates and the watermelon fish is too cute.
    Not into the shark and sting ray so much. Thanks for stirring up some memories for me. Carolyn

13. July 31, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Your table is fabulous!!! I love your fish plates. That’s a super catch with the watermelon idea as well!!!

14. July 31, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I love this post. I love that not only is your table beautiful, but your family is having so much fun and they are a part of the post too. :-)

15. La
    July 31, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I love the picture of the rod and reel on the beach at sunset. It looks like a lot of fun was had by all.

16. Happier Than A Pig in Mud
    July 31, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I’m very fond of fishing themes Mary-love this! Cute plates and what a cool cork screw:@)

17. July 31, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Your tables always inspire me. I just love everything about this fishy table! The centerpiece fish is the real star! I would love to get my hands on one like that! The creel basket and all the family tackle etc. give this table heirloom feel. I love those glass bobbers! I have been looking for them all summer.
    The table is the “catch of the day” as far as I am concerned!
    Thank you for sharing your watermelon fish! You have brought so much inspiration to ON THE MENU MONDAY!
    Yvonne

18. August 1, 2011 at 12:06 am

Looks like a good time was had by all!!!! And it also looks like you live in an all boy world just like I do! LOVE your watermelon/fish. You just amaze me at how clever you are. Have fun… I can’t wait to see what you come up with next. HUGS!
    Charlene

19. Pondside
    August 1, 2011 at 2:34 am

I love the fishy theme!
    My favorite way to fish is with a book – and someone else to be in charge of the rod.

20. August 1, 2011 at 11:51 am

I am crazy about tables with a sea theme, and this one is fantastic. I can’t believe you found those fish plates at Stein Mart. I have been stalking them in the Napa Style catalogue for ages, but they are so pricey there. Wonderful table, beautiful setting, and the fish planter as a wine cooler adds just the right amount of whimsy. Love it!

21. August 1, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Great catch! Love the fish planter used as a wine chiller. So creative. Of course, the cute watermelon fish and your new fishy plates are so much fun. Thanks for sharing your great photos and I can’t believe they were catching sharks and rays. Wow! Great post as always.
    Hugs,
    Babs

22. S.P.
    August 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Greetings from Santa Barbara!
    I’m a first time visitor to your blog- it’s so pretty!!

Best Wishes & A Happy August to you,
    Slim Paley

23. August 2, 2011 at 6:32 pm

You have such a great eye for creating tablescapes! I love it!

24. August 3, 2011 at 9:54 pm

What a wonderful waterside tablescape! I love the centerpiece, great idea as a wine cooler. And your carved watermelon is awesome!..Christine

25. August 3, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Oh goodness, this is so cute! I don’t know which centerpiece I like better, the watermelon sculpture or the fish wine cooler. They’re both great.
    I think that tablecloth is the thing that sets the stage for the whole table, though. I love the cool blue and green florals.

26. August 3, 2011 at 10:58 pm

What a beautiful table. I’ve seen that tablecloth at Kohl’s and have been refraining from buying it (so far anyway). You did a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing!

27. August 4, 2011 at 9:08 am

Love that Steinmart catch! I saved those directions for the fish melon when I saw it awhile ago and asked dh if he thought he could do it! Never got to it, but there’ s still time!
    Love the table, and the narrative. Wonderfully creative, Mary!

28. August 4, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Mary! You are such an inspiration! I had no desire for fish plates but now that I have seen your table, I am afraid I need them! What a beautiful table – each and every detail. I loved all your fishing pictures too but that first one – the silhouette in the sunset – just took my breath away. What a talent to do that melon like that!

29. August 4, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Such amazing table, just suitable for a wonderful summer beach day.

Love the fish centrepiece for wine.

Its funny my mom does a watermelon basket filled with fruits for summer.

Thank you for sharing.

Love,
    Karin Şen Cankan
    karinsfairytale.blogspot.com

30. August 4, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Clever transitions visually and with your discourse. The adventure was a wonderful inspiration for your charming tablescape. Thank you for sharing your seaworthy design. Cherry Kay

31. August 7, 2011 at 9:15 am

What fun! Love the fish centerpiece and the watermelon fish. The guys look like they really enjoy fishing. Great, colorful post! Have a delightful week!

32. August 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Another beautiful tablescape, from the tablecloth to the centerpiece and all in between, everything is just wonderful. The fish plates are so cute and I like that you have rotated colors. Very creative to use the fish planter for a wine cooler! And your watermelon fish is fabulous.

33. August 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm

this is adorable! Here from The Tablescaper Seasonal Sundays

34. August 9, 2011 at 6:20 am

What a fun table and perfect tribute to your time at the sea. Great to have your post being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

– The Tablescaper

35. August 2, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Such fun to see this one again! I love that watermelon fish and all the details of this fishy table. Great mosaics of family fun on the beach.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,006 other followers