Good Luck New Year Appetizer: Black-Eyed Pea Hummus

Eating black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day is a Southern tradition and considered good luck. This Black-Eyed Pea Hummus is a delicious and healthy way to serve up some good luck for the New Year!

We ate our black-eyed peas while watching the bowl games last night. This is an easy, make-ahead recipe to serve with your favorite dippers if you’re looking for a healthy appetizer!

This Black-Eyed Pea Hummus is adapted from a several different recipes I found online. We really loved the addition of the roasted garlic! Feel free to adjust the seasoning to your taste.

1 head of garlic, roasted

1/3 cup olive oil (plus more for serving)

2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed

Juice of 1 lemon

1/3 cup tahini

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon Kosher salt  (more or less to taste)

1/2 teaspoon paprika

4 – 6 dashes of hot sauce of choice (more or less to taste)

To roast garlic:

Preheat oven to 400°. Rub off loose, papery skins from outside of garlic bulb and trim 1/2″ off top. Place on a sheet of foil, drizzle with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and season with salt. Wrap up in the foil, place on a baking sheet, and roast until soft and tender, 30 – 40 minutes; let cool slightly. Squeeze /remove roasted cloves from bulb and add to food processor.

Reserve a couple of tablespoons of black-eyed peas for garnish, set aside. Add all ingredients to bowl of food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.

To serve: Garnish with reserved peas and generous drizzle of olive oil and sprig of parsley if desired. Serve with dippers of choice~ veggies, pita chips or pretzel crisps.

Printable Recipe ->scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page for the ‘print page’ option

Roasted garlic is sweet and mellow, don’t omit!

Season to taste. My black-eyed peas were low in sodium (140 mg sodium per 1/2 cup). Adjust amount of salt as needed for your peas.

Puree in food processor until mixture is smooth. Add additional olive oil if needed and process to smooth out.

Hummus can be made ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

I have a small collection of vintage Happy New Year post cards.

One that offers a message for good luck. . .

“A happy New Year, dear friend, that’s my wish for you.

And lots of good luck I also send to last the whole year through!”

You might also like

Good Luck New Year Layered Cornbread Salad

A layered salad with ingredients to bring good luck in the New Year~ cornbread, corn kernels, black-eyed peas, and bacon. Romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes and smoked turkey, makes it a complete meal.

It’s a frigid 12 degrees here this morning! Hope you’re curled up with a blanket and staying warm & cozy!

Wishing you Good Luck and Good Eats in the New Year!

Thank you for your visit, sharing with:

Metamorphosis MondayThe Scoop,  Inspire Me Tuesday,
Wow Us WednesdaysFoodie Friday

17 comments for “Good Luck New Year Appetizer: Black-Eyed Pea Hummus

1. Catherine LUXEREAU
    January 2, 2018 at 6:57 am

Miam vos photos me donnent faim …..;Vous etes une excellente décoratrice et en plus bonne cuisinière ! Bravo ! Je vous admire; Bonne journée :-)

• January 2, 2018 at 7:21 am

Merci pour vos doux commentaires Catherine! ♥

2. January 2, 2018 at 7:18 am

Your dip sounds great Mary! I think I’m going to add this to my holiday notes for next year:@) Wishing you a lucky 2018 too!

3. January 2, 2018 at 7:18 am

This is a definite must try recipe. Happy New Year!!

4. Rita C.
    January 2, 2018 at 8:12 am

Gosh that looks good – pinned, thanks. The cold here makes my face hurt – didn’t even walk the past couple days, so I undecorated. Of the two, I don’t know which was worse. On the upside, I’m happy we’re not sick in this household. Stay warm!

5. Karen Wright
    January 2, 2018 at 8:31 am

Your Black Eyed Pea Hummus made a lovely dish. Mary, what are all the colorful veggie sticks around the bowl? The orange sticks are carrots…love the colors??? I have left over peas, what a great way to use them. Excited about trying this recipe! Yes, we had our traditional good luck coins and dollars meal yesterday, too, while watching the games! Good luck and good eats wishes for 2018, to you, as well!

6. January 2, 2018 at 10:01 am

Love HUMMUS of any kind..especially one that brings good luck! Thank you!! 👍🏻❤️👍🏻❤️👍🏻

7. Linda Tietjen
    January 2, 2018 at 10:37 am

Brrr from coastal NC!!! Thank you for the recipe for the appetizer…I have black eyed peas left because we opted for sauerkraut for the good luck this year! It looks delicious and easy enough to add to my recipe collection! Thanks again, Mary! Have a happy and healthy 2018! Love you vintage post cards!

8. January 2, 2018 at 11:18 am

Now this sounds like the way to eat black eyed peas! My son made black eyed pea and collard wontons but unfortunately we weren’t in the same zipcode so I didn’t get to try them! I love the TJs rainbow carrots too, so festive! I wish I had some furballs to sit in my lap and keep me warm today, the temp was 23 this am on the coast and the water main to the island broke so we have no water! But at least the Tide rolled! Happy 2018 Mary!

9. January 2, 2018 at 11:33 am

Mary, I love black-eyed peas and hummus so this is a win-win recipe! It is bitter cold in NE AL, stay warm!

10. Sue Bingeman
    January 2, 2018 at 1:31 pm

I’m not even a fan of hummus but you make it look delicious!

11. Norma Rolader
    January 2, 2018 at 2:18 pm

Now this sounds great for left over blackeye peas

12. January 2, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Happy New Year, these recipes look nummy. And hummus is something we have added to our tables in the past few years!

13. January 2, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Burrr! It is cold here as well, but not in the low teens. Hovering in the upper 20s, but tonight it is supposed to drop to below 20. Not my kind of weather! Stay warm!
    We had our blackeyed peas last night, a soup that was a recipe my father-in-law created. It’s delicious!
    All the best for 2018!

14. Virginia
    January 2, 2018 at 6:38 pm

Mary thanks so much for the recipe, cold here in Northeastern North Carolina, we could even get snow tomorrow but I’m heading out early for shopping. I have planned a dinner party for Thursday night featuring scalloped oysters and think the black eyed peas will make a perfect appetizer. Fortunately I have everything in my pantry except black eyed peas. Looking forward to more inspiration from you in the upcoming year.

15. January 19, 2018 at 3:30 pm

I’m going to have to try these recipe! Hummus is my favorite snack,

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )