Melted Snowmen Cookies

Melted Snowmen Cookies

I made these Melted Snowmen Cookies or Chocolaty Melting Snowmen as they’re referred to in Better Homes & Gardens Christmas Cookies, during a flurry of holiday baking before Christmas in December.

Fun for wintry months too, they could be a project for a cold January day with any cookie, using white chocolate bark candy coating, REESE’S Peanut Butter Cups Miniatures, some orange candy sprinkles for noses, and mini chocolate chips for eyes.

Better Homes and Gardens included a chocolate cookie recipe, but I used Nigella’s Chocolate Shortbread Cookie recipe, that as Nigella says, are a “doddle” to make. All the ingredients for the chocolate shortbread cookies go in the food processor, and you give it a “blitz” :)

Follow the directions on the candy coating package and microwave until coating is melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Spoon candy coating over each cookie to resemble melted snow. While coating is still tacky, add a peanut butter cup half for the top hat and decorate with sprinkles to create snowman faces. You can also use frosting to make the nose and eyes rather than chips and sprinkles, adding the frosting after candy coating sets.

There was a learning curve with cutting the miniature Reece’s Cups~ I finally determined through trial and many errors :) they are easier to cut without crumbling if you leave the foil wrapper on.

I cut some with the small end of the cup up and then tried cutting them with the wide part up. I had the most success cutting through the wrappers with the wide end up. You’ll want to have plenty of peanut butter cups on hand and cut your hats in advance before building your snowmen since the candy coating sets up pretty quickly.

The only problem with building these Melted Snowmen Cookies is that someone has to eat the misshaped hats :)

Note: A reader left a comment suggesting Reese’s Peanut Butter Bells for the hats for easier hat assembly & less cutting!

Marvelous Mondays,  Metamorphosis Monday,

The ScoopInspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us Wednesdays

Foodie FridayHome Sweet Home,

Be Inspired FridaySeasonal Sundays

45 comments for “Melted Snowmen Cookies

1. Happier Than A Pig in Mud
    January 7, 2013 at 5:16 am

The cookies turned out cute Mary! I think snowmen are perfect for all winter, I just brought mine out this weekend:@)

2. January 7, 2013 at 6:20 am

Cute idea for post Christmas!

3. January 7, 2013 at 6:25 am

Very cute! Thanks for the suggestions for cutting the peanut butter cups with the wrapper on. They are adorable :)

4. Debbie@Mountain Breaths
    January 7, 2013 at 6:49 am

Mary, they are super adorable!

5. January 7, 2013 at 6:51 am

Oh, these are adorable…I would hate to eat them they are so cute!! Great idea!

Blessings,
    Gert

6. January 7, 2013 at 7:51 am

How stinkin’ cute!! You do the most creative things, Mary & provide SO much inspiration. I know my grandkidlets will get a real kick out of these & DH will be happy to eat up all the mishaps. LOL

I’m sorry to have been AWOL & not commenting on all your gorgeous postings. I have seen each & every one via my inbox & have enjoyed them immensely. You truly were born to decorate & display with a special flair.

Warm Hugs & Best Wishes for a wonderfully creative & HEALTHY 2013!
    Rett

7. January 7, 2013 at 8:09 am

These are the very cutest, Mary! I love shortbread cookies, too!

8. January 7, 2013 at 8:29 am

Good morning! We both have snowmen on our minds, huh? These are so cute and sound GOOD too!! I am getting packed to go away but sat down to have my cereal and vitamins. I’ll be back Sat. Hope you have a gREAT week. XO, PInky

9. January 7, 2013 at 8:43 am

I have seen versions of these floating around but of course yours are the cutest! l have to make these for my grandson! Thanks for sharing, and I bet the shortbread from Nigella is amazing!

10. Rachel
    January 7, 2013 at 8:52 am

Adorable! I may make these for my January luncheon.

11. Pondside
    January 7, 2013 at 9:44 am

These are perfect for Christmas Tea or a Winter Tea at the senior centre – they’d cause all sorts of lovely conversation for the older ladies – perfect for the grands too. I’m filing this one away for next year!

12. January 7, 2013 at 10:31 am

These are some of the cutest “winter” cookies I have ever seen. I am going to make these when the grandgirls are here-xo Diana

13. January 7, 2013 at 10:37 am

These are just darling!!! What a wonderful winter cookie! Thanks for the tip about cutting the peanut butter cups… and for the great links to the cookbook and magazine!
    It’s so nice to see you share them on ON THE MENU MONDAY… seriously, I could feature your recipes each week!

14. January 7, 2013 at 10:44 am

Mary these are so cute and oh I would be happy to help you eat the crumbled hats!!

15. anon
    January 7, 2013 at 10:52 am

just like melting snow, these would disappear right down my throat before i could share a single picture…

16. January 7, 2013 at 11:37 am

These are adorable. I’ve passed this link on to several friends with young grandchildren. This looks easy to do and so clever.

17. January 7, 2013 at 1:24 pm

They could not be more adorable. I could eat the left overs-no problem:}

18. January 7, 2013 at 1:57 pm

How adorable! Sharing this idea with my nieces…
    Thank you, Mary!

19. January 7, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I so admire the patience you have for trying the ideas that I think are so cute but don’t do! A chocolate chip cookie is about as decorative as I get so I totally enjoy your efforts.

20. January 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Adorable! I will absolutely do this!

21. January 7, 2013 at 7:29 pm

U did such a great job!! I have them pinned and want to make them too.

22. January 7, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Adorable Mary! I plan to get out and build a snowman in the yard. We had a big snowfall today and it is so beautiful. Kisses for the pups.

Big Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

23. January 7, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Your “Frosty” snowmen are just the cutest, They remind me of the part of the story when Frosty melted. How much fun and delicious, too.

24. Sandra
    January 7, 2013 at 9:35 pm

These are so adorable. I am a new reader to your blog and wanted to compliment you on your creativity and your photography skills.

25. January 8, 2013 at 3:17 pm

They are so cute, Mary! You are such a creative person inside the kitchen and out :) The chocolate shortbread cookies sound wonderful. They look much darker in this post than in the post where you have the recipe. Did you use a different chocolate or is it just different lighting? I’d love to try them.

26. January 8, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Thanks for everyone’s kind comments! Susan, I used Hersey’s Special Dark Cocoa in the snowman cookie batch :)

27. casteb
    January 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm

So cute and look delish, too!

28. January 8, 2013 at 7:44 pm

These cookies are so cute. Wish my grandchildren were closer and we could make them together.

29. January 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm

So, so very adorable!!…I think I may have to make these cookies for my “cutie”….

30. January 10, 2013 at 10:58 am

So so cute! Will try them with my grandsons.

31. January 10, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Oh these are just adorable and ALMOST too good to eat!!

32. January 12, 2013 at 5:24 pm

These are really CUTE
    Wonderful idea and beautiful result :)

33. January 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Mary, you never fail to impress me! These cookies are simply adorable!!

34. January 14, 2013 at 9:50 pm

These are absolutely adorable!

35. Nancy
    January 19, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Hi. I can’t wait to make these…I just wanted to ask you about the difference in color on your cookie…I went to Nigella’s site and the color of your’s are so much darker…Did you use more cocoa or a different kind?? Even the texture looks a little different…I actually like the darkness of yours in contrast to the white chocolate…
    Nancy Carlson

36. January 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I used Hersey’s Special Dark Cocoa in the snowman cookie batch :)

37. Karen
    February 2, 2013 at 8:22 pm

These are so adorable, tried them today but ended up just making a snowman face without the hat. Your tips to cut them without crumbling helped, but my PB cups were thin-walled, the PB had shown-through the chocolate on many of them. The few that did look nice enough to use melted & smeared in the warm ‘snow.’ I tried both Nestle Premier White morsels & Baker’s Premium White Chocolate baking squares. I’m a ‘detail person’ & just couldn’t make the Reese’s PB cups work. :-(

38. Kristin
    December 7, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Use the bell shaped Reese’s that come out at Christmas. They have the brim for a hat which makes less cutting. :)

39. Char
    December 8, 2013 at 6:38 pm

How come I can’t figure out how to cut the pb cups to get a brim? Do you
    use the one 1/2 cut smaller for the brim? Do you not use part of the pb cup after you cut it in 1/2?

40. December 8, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Cut each mini PB cup in half then cut each half to get a hat and brim. You get two complete hats per PB cup.

41. January 7, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I am going to try these with my children. They look fun AND yummy. Such a great idea!

Jenni

42. January 8, 2014 at 1:12 am

So cute!
    xo
    ~Wendy

43. Orange blossom
    January 8, 2014 at 5:52 pm

How cute! I’ve see similar ones on pinterest … Yours look better than most!

44. ms lemon tart
    January 9, 2014 at 8:31 pm

These cookies are adorable. Pinning for future use.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,014 other followers