Deviled Egg Baskets with Edible Flowers

The arrival of Easter brings with it eggs and Easter baskets and our Easter Sunday lunch wouldn’t be complete without some deviled eggs! These Deviled Egg Baskets are reminiscent of an Easter basket, garnished with flowering herbs and edible blossoms, topped with a chive basket handle!

These Deviled Egg Baskets also make for a pretty presentation when you want to dress up your deviled eggs for a spring gathering or celebration~ ideal for a Derby party, garden club lunch, or bridal shower!

I used a wavy knife by Joie to make a fancy, crinkle cut for these Easter basket eggs, slicing the eggs in half widthwise. I found my wavy knife at HomeGoods several years ago for around $4. You can find similar knives or choppers online, here.

Use a ceramic egg crate to serve these deviled egg baskets or make them extra fancy by elevating them in an egg cup! I found my ceramic egg crate at World Market for $6.99. If you don’t have an egg crate, you can cut a thin slice from the bottom of each egg half before filling them, so they sit flat on your serving platter.

Older eggs (1 – 2 weeks) make for easier peeling, but here’s a tip for peeling those hard-boiled eggs that I discovered:  Lightly crack the shells of your hard-boiled eggs before you shock them in ice water. Peel as soon as they’re cool enough to handle, about 3 minutes. The longer the eggs sit in cold water, the harder it is to remove their shells.

This is the method I use for perfect hard-boiled eggs:

Place eggs in a pan large enough to hold them in single layer, adding cold water to cover eggs by 1 inch. Bring eggs to boil over high heat. When they come to a boil, remove from burner and cover the pan.

Let eggs stand in hot water about 12 minutes for large eggs (9 minutes for medium eggs; 15 minutes for extra-large). Place eggs in an ice water bath after giving them a light crack. When eggs are cool, gently tap egg on your countertop, rolling the egg until shell is finely crackled all over to loosen shell. Starting peeling at the large end, holding egg under cold running water to help ease off the shell.

Use your favorite deviled egg recipe and add your filling to the egg whites, stuffing or piping your filling. To make and garnish the deviled egg baskets, top with some *edible flowers or herb blossoms. I used some violas along with our herbs that are blooming now~ chives, thyme and rosemary. I added a sprinkle of spicy microgreens on top or you could top your egg baskets with sprouts to mimic Easter grass. To use chives for a basket handle, I found the thinner chives worked better for bending as a handle. I made a little hole in the deviled egg filling with a toothpick first, to help ease the chive handle in the basket and minimize crimping the chive.

*As with any edible flower, only those that are pesticide and chemical free.

Happy Easter!

Thank you for your visit!

Sharing with:  Metamorphosis MondayThe ScoopWow Us Wednesdays, Tablescape Thursday
 Home Sweet Home,  Feathered Nest FridayFoodie Friday and Everything Else Link Party

32 comments for “Deviled Egg Baskets with Edible Flowers

1. Dorinda Selke
    April 12, 2017 at 7:22 am

Oh now these are the sweetest, most adorable angel eggs I have ever seen. They can’t be called devilled eggs, now can they ? Just love the creativity – enjoy your blog immensely. Hugs, Dorinda

2. Jacklyn carney
    April 12, 2017 at 7:27 am

Mary Mary Mary, these r the absolute cutest deviled eggs ever, I’ll take 2 dozen plz!
    Have a lovely blessed Easter! 🐰 💐

3. April 12, 2017 at 7:45 am

Mary, what beautiful presentation….deviled eggs are a must have for our Easter lunch!

4. Michelle
    April 12, 2017 at 7:47 am

What a great idea! Will need to adapt this for my Easter devil eggs!🐇🐇🐇🐇🐥

5. April 12, 2017 at 8:12 am

Brilliant and absolutely fussy/adorable!!!!!

Another hint on easy peeling boiled eggs: older ones peel much easier. I plan for that every Easter.

I ADORE this post. Thanks for the awesome inspiration!!

Hugs!

6. Ellen Stillabower
    April 12, 2017 at 8:15 am

Yum!!! Too cute to eat!!! 🐇🌺❤️

7. April 12, 2017 at 8:29 am

Now if those aren’t the prettiest little deviled Easter egg baskets ever, Mary! I have a wavy blade and can certainly put it to use to make those darling creations. Thanks for your never-ending inspiration.

April 12, 2017 at 9:41 am

I love eggs in any shape, fried, poached, hard boiled, but this is just the cutest! Have pinned and will do. Mary where do get the pansy’s with no pesticides? Or do you just grow your own for a ready supply?

• April 13, 2017 at 6:58 am

Hi Cyndi, I plant some in the fall and then we have some that volunteer every year in the spring. I’ve heard that you can find edible flowers at Whole Foods, but I haven’t looked for them. I just did a quick search and saw nasturtiums and violas in an edible flower garden available here.

9. Alice
    April 12, 2017 at 9:49 am

Will make these cute eggs for Easter. I will put them in egg cups also. Thanks for the tips in removing the shell. Will let you know the number of complements YOU received🐰💕🐰

10. Patti
    April 12, 2017 at 10:22 am

So cute, and way too pretty to eat!!

11. April 12, 2017 at 10:26 am

You have made such a simple food look like art. So awesome.

12. Coleen
    April 12, 2017 at 10:32 am

A must make for my next tea! Thank you!

13. April 12, 2017 at 11:00 am

Thank you for the lovely idea! Now I have something new to try for our Easter Dinner! Happy Easter to you and yours…

14. Mary Boger
    April 12, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Eggsactly what we need for Easter entertaining…or MayDay, Mother’s Day,
    or Tea Party Day!! Just adorable. And I’d like two dozen also! lol

15. April 12, 2017 at 2:29 pm

These are so stinkin cute I can barely stand it:) I have got to try this. I boil my eggs the same way but didn’t know the trick of older eggs and cracking them before the ice water! Thanks!!! Pinning again!

16. Melodie Strickland
    April 12, 2017 at 6:09 pm

How very unique and creative. You have such a talent for making beautiful food. I don’t make deviled eggs as my late husband used to make them for Easter and other occasions. May you and yours have a wonderful Easter!!

17. April 12, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Very pretty Mary, I’d love to indulge in one of your happy Easter Deviled Eggs:@)

18. Paula
    April 12, 2017 at 7:50 pm

~Mary~
    Very very cute !! I do my hard boiled eggs the same as you, but I am sure I definitely over boil them !!
    Have a Happy Easter
    Paula
    IN
    p.s I believe the Brits call their eggs, Picnic Eggs.

19. Sara
    April 12, 2017 at 8:17 pm

I have been a life long failure at boiling eggs so I leave it to my husband but we recently saw an easy method of cooking and peeling eggs on Dr. Oz. The eggs are steamed. I didn’t know how to put it in the comments but look up Dr. Oz, America’s Test Kitchen, steamed eggs. There is a video and it worked for us.

20. April 12, 2017 at 11:13 pm

how incredibly cute Mary! Totally brilliant!! You and Lynn should have a deviled egg contest, one for every holiday!

21. Donna Rowe
    April 13, 2017 at 3:41 am

So Cute !!!

22. Vikki
    April 13, 2017 at 8:18 am

Such a beautiful presentation for deviled eggs! I was just enjoying scrolling up and down soaking in all your beautiful spring posts from years gone by. I am smiling at things like…Edible Easter Peeps Centerpiece and Lemon Peeptinis, Potato Salad Deviled Eggs, Bunny Ears Salad and that to die for Fairy Cake! Thanks for years of beautiful posts Mary. Vikki in VA

23. Cindy lou
    April 13, 2017 at 2:39 pm

Adorable ! As always !

24. April 13, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Hi Mary, I found you over at Home Sweet Home link up party…I really enjoyed visiting your post, these are the cutest eggs I have ever seen! : ) Love your blog!
    Happy Easter!

25. April 13, 2017 at 6:25 pm

What beautiful eggs…. and they look delicious!

26. April 14, 2017 at 8:04 am

Oh my goodness, these are absolutely beautiful! What a clever, creative way to serve Devilled Eggs. They are perfect for Easter or so many other occasions. Pinned! I’d love it if you would share this recipe at my Hearth and Soul Link Party if you have time? I know my readers would love it! Happy Easter!

27. April 17, 2017 at 7:47 pm

What a fantastic idea. I love the idea of using some of the dozens of hardboiled Easter eggs we make to create these gorgeous deviled egg easter baskets. They are beautiful!

28. April 18, 2017 at 7:23 am

Your eggs are simply gorgeous! I would love you to share them with Smell Good Sunday.

29. April 19, 2017 at 11:39 am

OMG, those eggs are too beautiful to eat.
    Hugs,
    Bev

30. April 19, 2017 at 6:05 pm

These are great! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!