I always seem to have a case of the January Blues on the heels of Christmas~ taking the tree down & putting all the decorations away. . .straightening & organizing . . .cutting calories & spending. . .
Flowers seem to help though :)
Blueberry Coffee Cake was lightened up in Southern Living Magazine’s January issue in the ‘Indulge Without Guilt’ section~ and one of several recipes for breakfast breads to indulge in under 300 calories.
Skim milk and nonfat yogurt make this cake moist and only 219 calories a slice, depending on the size of your slice :)
This coffee cake comes together quickly, is moist, satisfying and one I’ll make again!
You can combine the dry ingredients the night before for an even quicker morning start. This cake is wonderful warm or good served at room temperature!
The top has a mixture of turbinado sugar, sliced almonds, and cinnamon sprinkled on it for a little sparkle, crunch, and additional sweetness~
~1 large egg
~1/2 cup fat-free milk
~ 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
~ 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
~2 cups all-purpose flour
~1/2 cup granulated sugar
~4 teaspoons baking powder
~1/2 teaspoon salt
~1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, no need to thaw
~1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
~2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
~2 tablespoons sliced almonds
~1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk together egg, milk, yogurt, and vegetable oil in a large bowl.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in another bowl. (You can do this the night before for quicker assembly in the morning.)
3. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Toss 1 1/4 cups blueberries in 1 Tbsp. flour; fold into batter. Pour into a lightly greased 9-inch springform pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup blueberries.
5. Stir together 2 Tbsp. turbinado sugar, sliced almonds, and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
6. Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes; remove sides of pan.
This coffee cake is great way to beat the January Blues if you’re counting calories~ indulge in a slice with coffee or tea in the morning or afternoon!