Ina Garten’s Make Ahead Cranberry Sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and tart! Enjoy leftovers with turkey or ham on a roll or in Baked Brie in Puffed Pastry for an easy crowd-pleasing appetizer.
Can you believe Thanksgiving is next week? I have a favorite recipe to share for your Thanksgiving feast
that you can make ahead up to a week in advance and mark off your ‘to do’ list for turkey day!
This easy and delicious recipe comes from Ina Garten and one that we’ve enjoyed for several years.
It’s the perfect combination of sweet and tart and is wonderful the next day
served with your leftover Thanksgiving turkey or ham on a roll or biscuit!
Here are the ingredients:
12-ounce bag fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked through, discarding any that are bruised, shriveled or soft
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup of water
Place the cranberries, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan and
cook over medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes, or until the skins pop.
Add apple, zests, and juices and cook for 15 – 20 more minutes until apples are soft.
Remove from the heat, let cool completely.
It will continue to thicken as it cools.
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
This will make about 4 cups of cranberry sauce. Plan on 1/4 cup of cranberry sauce per person.
If your family and guests are cranberry sauce enthusiasts and you want some for your guests
to take home with the Thanksgiving leftovers you may want to double the recipe.
It will keep in the refrigerator up to 10 days or it’s also freezer-friendly,
so you have some for holiday appetizers and easy entertaining.
Make extra for family members and friends to take home to enjoy with leftover turkey or ham on a roll;
spooned over cream cheese with crackers for an easy appetizer;
or over a wheel of warm melty Brie wrapped in puffed pastry.
It’s wonderful in Puff Pastry Baked Brie!
The cranberry sauce adds a bright, sweet and tart note to the
warm melting cheese wrapped in a flaky layer of puff pastry.
The winners of a Queen’s Majestic Beauty Thanksgiving Turkey Plate are
Find 20+ Thanksgiving Recipes You’ll Want to Gobble for your Thanksgiving feast, HERE.
Ina Garten’s Make Ahead Cranberry Sauce
- microplane zester
- 12- ounce bag fresh cranberries rinsed and picked through, discarding any that are bruised, shriveled or soft
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled, cored and chopped
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Add cranberries, sugar, and 1 cup of water to a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 5 - 10 minutes, or until the skins pop open.
- Add apple, zests, and juices and cook for 15 - 20 more minutes until thickened and apples are soft.
- Remove from the heat and let cool completely. It will continue to thicken as it cools from the pectin in the apple.
- This will make about 4 cups of cranberry sauce. Plan on 1/4 cup of cranberry sauce per person. If your family and guests are cranberry sauce enthusiasts and want leftovers you may want to double the recipe!
- May be made ahead up to 1 week in advance.
- May substitute frozen cranberries for fresh, no need to thaw.
- Enjoy leftover cranberry sauce in Brie with Puff Pastry for easy holiday entertaining.
- Can be frozen up to three months. To freeze: Pour cooled cranberry sauce into freezer-safe jars, leaving about 1 inch of headspace or use freezer zip-top plastic bags, removing as much air as possible from bag before sealing. To thaw, place in refrigerator overnight.
Turkey ladle / Wallace Autumn Harvest 6-Piece Hostess Set
Turkey Napkins / Williams-Sonoma, several years ago
Queen’s Majestic Beauty Thanksgiving Turkey Plate / Tuesday Morning
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase anything through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Thank you for your visit!