Blue Cheese Crostini with Balsamic-Roasted Grapes

DSC_7559 Crostini

Blue Cheese Crostini with Balsamic-Roasted Grapes is a crowd-pleasing appetizer that’s worthy of company, but so quick and easy to assemble, you’ll want to treat yourself and enjoy with a glass of wine for cocktail hour!

I’ve seen several recipes recently for roasted grape appetizers, this recipe comes from the pages of Southern Living Magazine in the February issue. I’ve made this appetizer multiple times since I found it, it’s that good and that easy! If you like the flavor of blue cheese you’ll love this appetizer. If you’re not a fan of blue cheese, substitute another soft cheese like goat, Boursin or Brie.

Blue Cheese Crostini with Balsamic-Roasted Grapes, courtesy Southern Living

Ingredients

2 cups halved seedless red grapes

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallot (I’ve made with and without, omitted here)

2 teaspoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

French bread baguette, cut into slices

3 tablespoons butter, softened

2 ounces crumbled blue cheese, softened

Toasted pecans, chopped

Thyme for garnish, if desired

Directions

Preheat oven to 425°. Toss halved grapes with vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt, and shallots, if desired. Arrange grape mixture in a single layer in a small roasting pan. Bake 15 minutes or until grapes wilt and develop a thin syrup.

Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to broil with oven rack 7 inches from heat.

Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Stir together softened butter and cheese and spread evenly over bread slices.

Broil 2 to 3 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

Spoon grape mixture over toasted bread, and sprinkle with pecans, garnish with fresh thyme before serving if desired.

This is a great appetizer to enjoy or serve with a glass of wine! You can roast the grapes in advance, allow to cool and refrigerate the grapes and syrup until ready to assemble. When ready to serve, spread softened blue cheese/butter mixture on baguette slices, and broil until bubbly. Turn the oven to 350°, top with roasted grapes and pecans and run back in oven for 5 – 7 minutes until grape mixture is warmed through.

Even easier, spoon these balsamic roasted grapes and syrup over a wedge of Brie, brick of cream or goat cheese and serve with baguette slices or crackers and let everyone help themselves. You can find a printable recipe, here.

PicMonkey Collage edge

Metamorphosis MondayThe Scoop,

Inspire Me TuesdayWow Us Wednesdays,

Foodie Friday and Everything Else Link Party

Share Your Style

30 comments for “Blue Cheese Crostini with Balsamic-Roasted Grapes

1. Pattie Leonardis
    April 17, 2015 at 5:19 am

OMG! This recipe is divine. Many thanks!

2. Deborah
    April 17, 2015 at 5:57 am

My mouth is watering! This looks incredible. I love the combination of blue cheese and anything. I am definitely making this today.

3. April 17, 2015 at 6:14 am

Very nice Mary! And I see you’re serving red grapes with white wine, that makes me smile for some reason:@)

• April 17, 2015 at 8:58 am

It’s my wine o’clock beverage of choice Lynn :)

4. Carolyn Wilson
    April 17, 2015 at 7:25 am

Mary, I am an over the age of 55 beginner using a dslr camera. When you take your close up shots what lens do you use? Do you swap your lenses out a lot….because your pictures are always right on point! Do you use editing software of some kind? I share your pictures w my mom so often! Your blog is like opening the pages of a once upon a time high gloss, best quality magazine of days gone by!

5. April 17, 2015 at 7:31 am

Oh yeah, come to mama, I have made a diff version of this with rosemary, it’s a wowzer for sure! Yum yum YUM!

6. April 17, 2015 at 7:48 am

We have a really cool, low-key pizza place, Pies & Pints, that specializes in a similar recipe for one of their most famous pies – Grape & Gorgonzola. This looks just as good – pinning. Thanks.

• April 17, 2015 at 8:56 am

Sounds so good Rita, I’ll have to try a pizza version! Thanks for pinning :)

7. April 17, 2015 at 7:50 am

Oh my goodness, Mary…this is making my mouth water & I’m craving a taste even before breakfast!! YUMMO!
    I used to make an appetizer recipe of blue cheese & grapes years ago & this sure reminds me of it. I look forward to trying it. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous!! Thanks for telling us how to make this delicious sounding treat.

• April 17, 2015 at 8:58 am

Thanks Rett, I’ve been thinking about you. ♥

8. April 17, 2015 at 8:13 am

Yum! This is a definite must make for our next get together! Have a great weekend!

• April 17, 2015 at 8:57 am

I’ll think you’ll enjoy it Michelle, happy weekend :)

9. April 17, 2015 at 8:23 am

What a gorgeous appetizer, Mary. I loved reading that you’ve made it several times since you discovered the recipe. That’s always a good sign! Thanks for sharing and may you have a happy weekend.

10. April 17, 2015 at 9:27 am

You’re speaking my language, Mary! I am a bleu cheese fanatic, and this has got to be a fabulous combo, what a perfect summer nosh!

11. donna
    April 17, 2015 at 9:35 am

Hi! I just found your blog yesterday and have not been able to stop looking at all your gorgeous pictures! These are the most colorful, vivid photos I’ve ever seen. Love your style! I’m hooked!

Cheers, Donna from sunny Savannah,GA

• April 17, 2015 at 10:02 am

Thanks so much Donna! Savannah is one of my favorite places to visit for a long weekend :)

12. Debbie
    April 17, 2015 at 10:46 am

Oh, my! My mouth is watering. This looks so yummy!

13. April 17, 2015 at 1:32 pm

A keeper for sure! I will be definitely making this one, Mary…Thank you!

14. April 17, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Mary, this sounds fabulous and looks so too! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Will be making these for certain.
    Hope you are expecting beautiful weekend weather. Have a great one! ~ Sarah

15. April 17, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Have I been under a rock? I have not noticed any roasted grape recipes, but I’m just dying to try this with some Clemson blue cheese. I printed your recipe because I have to prepare appetizers for a cheese and fruit table in just a few weeks! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

16. Doni
    April 18, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Oh my, this sounds delightful. Can’t wait to try it! :)

17. Cynthia Raines
    April 18, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Mary, I LOVE grapes so I will have to try it, BUT with one of the other cheeses you mentioned as I am not a bleu cheese fan. Thanks for another “keeper”! Happy Spring! The “Thumb” of MI is finally hitting some good temps – in the mid 60’s and my daffodils and hyacinths are blooming! Yay!!

18. May 1, 2015 at 6:41 am

Oh my does this look amazing! Found you through Jenna at the Painted Apron – YAY!

19. July 4, 2015 at 3:12 pm

I have made this appetizer several times and always receive complements. It is a unique and upscale crostini. Thanks for sharing……

Thank you for your comments~ they make my day ♥

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )