Muffuletta Deviled Eggs for Mardi Gras

Muffuletta Deviled Eggs bring a taste of the Big Easy in a deviled egg in celebration of Mardi Gras! Inspired by the quintessential New Orleans sandwich, these deviled eggs serve up olive salad for a tangy addition and are topped with thin strips of crispy salami!

DSC_9743.1-001

Mardi Gras falls on February 13th this year. Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday,” is the last day of the Carnival season and falls the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.

DSC_9660.2

In addition to your eggs, you’ll need some olive salad. You can make your own or use a short cut and pick up some ready-made at the olive bar at the grocery store. You’ll need 1/2 cup of olive salad for a dozen eggs.

Muffuletta Deviled Eggs, recipe adapted from Southern Living

Ingredients

12 large eggs, boiled and halved, egg yolks removed

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup olive salad (make your own or use a short cut and pick up some from olive bar at the grocery store)

1 tablespoon capers, drained

3 ounces very thinly sliced salami, cut into thin strips

Chives, chopped

Boil and peel eggs using your *preferred method.

Drain olive salad and capers and pulse together in food processor until finely chopped, set aside.

Heat a small skillet over low heat 1 to 2 minutes or until hot. Add salami, and cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes or until strips are lightly browned and crisp. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels.

Cut hard-boiled eggs in half, remove yolks and place into a bowl. Place egg whites onto a serving dish. Mash yolks with a fork until fine. Stir in mayonnaise until smooth. Fold in olive salad. Spoon or pipe mixture into egg white halves. Garnish with salami strips and chopped chives.

Printable Recipe

For easy filling and less mess, add deviled egg filling to center of a piece of plastic wrap using the same method you would for frosting. Roll up the plastic wrap, twisting the ends to seal filling and transfer your egg mixture to your piping bag. If your piping tip is an open design, you can thread the twisted end through the opening and then cut the end.

If your tip is a closed design or too narrow to thread the end through, cut the end off of the plastic wrap before adding it to your piping bag. I used a Wilton 8B open star tip to pipe the deviled egg mixture.

My sister gave me a Negg hard-boiled egg peeler, which made peeling these hard boiled eggs a breeze! You fill the container with a bit of water as per the directions and then shake until you feel the shell begin to “soften” – anywhere from 4 to 12 times. There’s a bit of a learning curve with one or two eggs until you determine how hard and long to shake the container, but it worked like a charm and makes for easy peeling!

*My method for perfect hard-boiled eggs:

Tip: Older eggs (1 – 2 weeks) make for easier peeling.

Place eggs in a pan large enough to hold them in single layer, adding cold water to cover eggs by 1 inch. Bring eggs to boil over high heat. When they come to a boil, remove from burner and cover the pan.

Let eggs stand in hot water about 12 minutes for large eggs (9 minutes for medium eggs; 15 minutes for extra-large). Place eggs in an ice water bath. Peel as soon as they’re cool enough to handle, about 3 minutes. The longer the eggs sit in cold water, the harder it is to remove their shells. Gently tap egg on your countertop, rolling the egg until shell is finely crackled all over to loosen shell. Starting peeling at the large end, holding egg under cold running water to help ease off the shell.

If you’re looking for other recipes to celebrate Mardi Gras, Let the Good Flavors Roll with. . .

Muffuletta Puff Pastry Pinwheels

Quick and easy to throw together for a taste of the Big Easy to celebrate Mardi Gras, or anytime you need a savory appetizer to serve with cocktails!

Muffaletta Pasta Salad and King Cake Cocktail

King Cake Mini Parfaits for Mardi Gras

Mini parfaits with traditional yellow cake and cinnamon buttercream frosting, tinted in the colors of Mardi Gras- purple representing justice, green representing faith, and gold representing power.

Muffuletta Dip

Homemade Italian Giardinera

Mardi Gras-Rita

Three frozen layers of flavor in a margarita in celebration and the colors of Mardi Gras!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Thank you for your visit!

Sharing with: Metamorphosis MondayThe ScoopWow Us Wednesdays,

21 comments for “Muffuletta Deviled Eggs for Mardi Gras

1. February 12, 2018 at 7:09 am

I will have to definitely try these eggs and pasta salad..looks and sound delicious!! My favorite way to hard boil eggs is in my electric steamer..they come out perfect every time..thank you for sharing..🤴🏻👑

2. February 12, 2018 at 7:11 am

Thanks for all the tips boiling and peeling eggs! Your recipes sound good today. Cute Mardi Gras decorations and styling.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

3. Ellen
    February 12, 2018 at 7:11 am

I love deviled eggs, just not the making process. These Muffuletta deviled eggs sound yumalicious! I think the olive salad sounds pretty yumalicious too. Lucky for me, my son-in law will do the work. I am going to get that Negg peeler to put into his Easter basket! Enjoy your Mardi Gras celebration. Thank-you!

4. February 12, 2018 at 7:43 am

Mary, we love deviled eggs and this really looks delicious. Thanks for sharing and Happy Monday!

5. Michelle
    February 12, 2018 at 8:00 am

Need to make these eggs!🤗 nice change from deviled eggs!

6. Alice
    February 12, 2018 at 8:32 am

Must get the Negg. I hate peeling eggs so that’s my hubby’s job as he loves deviled eggs. Thanks for the tip to not leave the eggs in the ice water until they are cold.

7. Susan B
    February 12, 2018 at 8:35 am

Thank you for the wonderful post. I love deviled eggs and can’t wait to try the Muffuletta recipe, they really look delicious! I have 2 soft boiled eggs every morning and my husband is sweet enough to make them for me, but he sometimes complains about difficulty removing the shells. I am going to buy him the Negg peeler for Valentine’s Day (as a little gag gift). Perfect timing, thank you so much!! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and all your readers.

8. February 12, 2018 at 9:46 am

Great round up of recipes. I am sorry I haven’t been around. My Joe had open heart surgery almost 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I went by ambulance to the ER for VERY high BP. Getting old is not fun. Take care, Mary.

• February 12, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Hi Pinky, I saw your post and knew about Joe’s surgery and thought I read he was doing well. So sorry to hear about your trip via the ambulance to the ER, thoughts and prayers to you and Joe for a speedy recovery. ♥

9. February 12, 2018 at 9:51 am

Your eggs are party perfect Mary, love the tip about filling the pastry bag, I always make such a mess! I’m not much of a deviled egg fan, but I sure would love a Muffaletta Puff Pastry Pinwheel and a King Cake Cocktail! 🎭 🎉 👑 Happy Fat Tuesday tomorrow!

10. Virginia
    February 12, 2018 at 10:59 am

Thanks for sharing the delicious recipes, can’t wait to try the deviled egg recipe. Will be on the hunt for the Negg as I always have trouble with peeling eggs. I have let them sit in the fridge for a week or two and tried Dr. Oz’s suggestion or shaking them in a bowl of water once cool, adding a little vinegar to the water when boiling. The negg I must have.

February 12, 2018 at 1:02 pm

We love deviled eggs and will pin this recipe as it looks yummy. I too thank you for the great tip regarding the filling in plastic wrap and then in the piping bag! How cool is that! 😊 A word to Pinky, I understand how you feel as I too spent a night in the hospital this past weekend with extremely high blood pressure and now am on a medication to bring it down. I guess this past year of losing my mom and with hubby having a stroke has taken a tole on me. Will say prayers for you and hubby, God bless. Thank you Mary for always giving us such a great post and brightening our days. You are a real blessing!❤ p.s. I think the eggs will be better for us to eat that those loaded jelly filled donuts! Lol

• February 12, 2018 at 3:17 pm

Cyndi, I’m so sorry to hear about your blood pressure and hospital stay! Thinking of you, take care of yourself! ♥

12. February 12, 2018 at 1:58 pm

These are on the menu for our gourmet group gathering this weekend.

13. February 12, 2018 at 2:35 pm

An absolutely wonderful blog!

14. LUXEREAU Catherine
    February 13, 2018 at 2:30 am

Bonjour Mary,

Oh là là que de bonnes choses….Merci ! Super ! Bonne journée Mary

Catherine

15. February 13, 2018 at 4:55 am

Your eggs sound very festive Mary! I saw that Negg on TV and wanted to try the technique using a mason jar… Forgot about it until you just mentioned it. Happy Mardi Gras-enjoy:@)

16. February 13, 2018 at 8:10 am

The muffuletta deviled eggs sound so flavorful, Mary! My family would love them. I have never heard of the Negg, but it sounds like a great invention. Thanks for all your fun Mardi Gras recipes.

17. February 13, 2018 at 12:56 pm

These look so good and I’m am looking forward to making them. I boil eggs at least twice a week and I need that egg peeler, thanks for the heads up and the recipe.

18. February 16, 2018 at 8:03 am

It all looks so wonderful Mary! I love making pinwheels and keep them in the freezer for those unexpected or expected for that matter, guests. A great last minute pop in the oven appetizer….thanks for all of your never ending inspiration!!

19. February 17, 2018 at 10:08 pm

The deviled eggs sound delicious, I must give them a try. Thanks for sharing.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w