Merry Cranberry Salsa

I’m always on the look out for make-ahead appetizers, especially for the holidays!

Cranberry Salsa was in Christmas With Southern Living’s 2012  edition and comes together in 10 minutes.

Factor in that it’s also colorful, fresh, healthy and a tasty addition to serve to your guests, makes it Merry Cranberry Salsa for me :)

Annie's1

For other make-ahead and quick & easy appetizers, you can find some ideas from our cookie exchange party last year, pictured above, here.

This is a little sweet and a little tart~

add another jalapeño pepper to turn up the heat!

Cranberry Salsa Ingredients

2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed  (I used the whole 12-oz. package of fresh cranberries)

1 small Gala, Fuji, or Braeburn apple, cubed

1 medium size jalapeño pepper, seeded and quartered (1 pepper didn’t have a lot of heat, so you may want to add 2 peppers)

1/4 cup superfine sugar

1 tablespoon orange zest (my addition)

1 green onion, finely chopped (I used half a shallot)

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

1 tablespoon canola oil (I omitted and used juice of half an orange instead)

½ teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional

You can make your own sweet potato chips or cinnamon pita chips to serve with this salsa or just open a bag if you’re harried like me during the holidays.

Pulse the cranberries, apple, and jalapeño pepper in food processor until coarsely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.

Transfer to a bowl; stir in green onion and cilantro if desired.

Add sugar and remaining ingredients, stirring well.

Cover and chill 2 – 24 hours, the color will deepen the longer it chillsStir before serving with sweet potato chips or cinnamon sugar pita chips.

Makes approximately 2 ½ cups,

so you may need to double this for a crowd!

You can find a printable recipe, here.

Merry Cranberry Salsa

Wishing you a Merry Cranberry Christmas!

Marvelous Mondays,  Metamorphosis Monday,

The ScoopInspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us WednesdaysTutorials Tips and Tidbits,

Foodie FridayHome Sweet Home,

Be Inspired FridaySeasonal Sundays

Holiday Recipe Party

21 comments for “Merry Cranberry Salsa

1. December 11, 2012 at 7:37 am

This looks wonderful, and I bet it’s great with the Sweet Potato Chips! All of a sudden we’re having a cocktail party right before Christmas so this is going to be a perfect addition to the menu. Thanks!

2. December 11, 2012 at 7:43 am

Yummy, Mary! What a delightful Christmastime treat! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. I bet the combination of sweet, tart, and hot is delicious!!!

3. Rhonda Steelman
    December 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

I am hosting our small family holiday dinner. So far, three of your recipes are on the menu! Cranberry Salsa, Marinated shrimp and artichokes and cranberry – pecan cracker , cookies. Love the recipes you provide. The pumpkin granola was a hit this fall too!

4. Anon
    December 11, 2012 at 8:52 am

Such beautiful color, I have made this before, but your addition of apple sounds great. Have been seeing the cinnamon chips, sounds like a perfect pairing. Always love your styling…

5. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.
    December 11, 2012 at 9:10 am

Oh my goodness that looks good! And I love sweet potato chips!

6. December 11, 2012 at 9:59 am

SL should have your photos! I am amazed by all the different combinations that can be had in salsa.

7. December 11, 2012 at 10:28 am

Looks yummy! I will have to try this sometime….Christine

8. December 11, 2012 at 10:45 am

YUMMMM!! I will make this when our son and my sister get here for the holidays!! Thanks so much. Once again your photos are beautiful. XO, Pinky

9. December 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

Yum! I need to take a dish to a party Thursday evening. Think this looks like a winner. Thanks!

10. December 11, 2012 at 12:31 pm

That recipe looks and sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing it!

11. December 11, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I love cranberry recipes Mary. I make my own cranberry relish so look forward to making this salsa.

12. Debbie
    December 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm

This looks so yummy! Can’t wait to try it!

13. December 11, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Sounds and looks wonderful…so colorful. I like your touches (adding orange juice instead of oil, shallot instead of green onion, etc) – going to a holiday potluck on the 23rd and I think I will be taking this!

Thank you for amazing us with your creativity and inspiration all through the year, Mary!

14. Happier Than A Pig in Mud
    December 11, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Yum and gorgeous! I love the few whole berries, they make it so pretty Mary. I haven’t seen the sweet potato chips yet here, but they sure sound good. I was just thinking today that I haven’t used a jalapeno in a long time… gonna correct that:@)

15. December 11, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Doesn’t this look wonderful?!! I just love the color. It sounds so refreshing and fun for a Christmas party. How am I going to be able to pick from all of these great appetizers?

16. December 12, 2012 at 11:21 am

Oh, yum! This sounds so good and looks so pretty and festive! Now I just need to figure out something low carb as a dipper!

17. December 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm

So festive and inviting. This salsa looks delicious and so pretty. You definitely have a way with presentation.

18. December 12, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Different, interesting, neat idea

19. Rhonda
    December 22, 2012 at 9:47 pm

made it for the family. loved it.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,354 other followers