Holiday Spirits: Autumn Flavor-Infused Bourbon

Infused Bourbon

In my search for recipes for apple week with The Novel Bakers I ran across Autumn Flavor-Infused Bourbon.

Apple Pie-Infused Bourbon and a variation, Orange, Clove, and Cranberry-Infused Bourbon were in the food gift section of Southern Living Magazine. The fruit steeps for 4 days resulting an autumn infusion of flavor for a specialty bourbon you can give as a hostess gift or enjoy to mix cocktails for the holidays!

Apple Pie-Infused Bourbon

Ingredients

1 Golden Delicious apple, chopped

2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 ( 750 milliliter) bottle bourbon

*1/4 cup Simple Syrup

* For Simple Syrup:  Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Boil 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and cool 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

Preparation

1. Place first 3 ingredients in a 1-qt. canning jar. Add bourbon; cover with metal lid, and screw on band. Let bourbon stand at room temperature 4 days.

2. Shake jar to distribute flavors. Pour bourbon mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a pitcher, discarding solids. Stir in Simple Syrup, and pour into a clean 1-qt. canning jar or 3 to 4 small bottles. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 2 months.

For Orange, Clove, and Cranberry-Infused Bourbon:

Place 2 (2-inch) orange rind strips, 8 whole cloves, and 1 cup lightly crushed fresh or frozen cranberries in a 1-qt. canning jar. Add bourbon; cover with metal lid, and screw on band. Let bourbon stand at room temperature 4 days. Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 2.

I found little 7 oz. cork bottles for $2.12 each,

from Specialty Bottle, just the right size for gifts.

Labels are available to download courtesy of Southern Living, here, with suggestions to mix your infused bourbon with sparkling cider, ginger ale, cola or your favorite soft drink.

Add a gift bag and sticker or tag.

(Organza bag and stickers from Michaels).

If you’re not a bourbon fan, you can

substitute vodka for your Holiday Spirits instead.

You can find a printable recipe for infusing here.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Metamorphosis MondayMarvelous Mondays,

The ScoopInspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us Wednesdays

Foodie FridayHome Sweet Home,

Be Inspired FridaySeasonal Sundays

16 comments for “Holiday Spirits: Autumn Flavor-Infused Bourbon

1. November 29, 2013 at 6:29 am

What a darling idea for a gift. I can only imagine how good this would taste in a cup of hot tea. Even at five in the morning it sounds quite appealing! Thanks for the recipe, detailed instructions, and sources to make this special holiday treat.

2. November 29, 2013 at 6:54 am

The recipe sounds tasteeee! Wonder how it would taste in egg nog? You think?

• November 29, 2013 at 7:15 am

I think the Apple Pie would be great in egg nog or tea like Pattie suggested :)

3. November 29, 2013 at 9:29 am

Love this idea! The Evan is hubby’s BFFs favorite, so that’s one more to check off my list! What fun to make, and some taste-testing would be ok too :) Thanks, Mary!!

4. Carol
    November 29, 2013 at 10:34 am

Thanks for the recipes and the site for the bottles..one of my co-workers is a bourbon lover but has had nothing like this!

5. Carolyn Ericson
    November 29, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Great little gift idea. Happy Holiday Mary.

6. November 29, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I have made my own vanilla extract with rum (don’t care to use vodka for it, prefer the mellower and ‘sweeter’ taste of dark rum in my homemade vanilla) and I have made Kona coffee liqueur, but have never tried any other infusions with alcohol…I like the idea of the apple pie infused bourbon.

7. Lynn@Happier Than A Pig In Mud
    November 29, 2013 at 3:27 pm

“If you’re not a bourbon fan…”??? Bourbon’s the bacon of booze-it goes with everything in the kitchen! (Just goofin’… kinda:@) Lovin’ the cranberry one for Christmas gifts Mary, also love that you used the brand I have! Happy weekend!

8. November 29, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Sounds like a great gift idea, Mary! Thanks!!! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. We sure did, my son is here from Fl. and we all were at my daughter and SIL’s. Good day.

9. Cheryl
    November 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Yum…love bourbon…sounds great.
    I am missing the Novel Bakers. Hope you guys are planning something soon.

10. November 30, 2013 at 1:39 am

I bet your home smells delicious all the time!! Great gift idea!! xo Jeanne

11. November 30, 2013 at 9:16 am

I seem to be attracted to anything Bourbon lately, it’s starting to concern me! Must be holiday stress! These both sound so good, especially the apple pie one, no maybe the cranberry orange clove, I better make them both and then decide! I love your packaging, brilliant putting stick on labels on the organza bags, and GREAT looking bottles~

12. Rattlebridge Farm -- Foodie Friday
    December 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm

My 86 year old mom has put one of these on her gift list. :-)

13. Sandra Garth
    December 12, 2013 at 1:12 pm

What a wonderful way to make the season Merry and Bright!!

Comments are closed.