Got Snow? Mix a Snow Cream Cocktail!

Snow Cream Cocktail

I hope you all have your provisions

to survive the latest winter blast. . .

Bread, milk, batteries, ice melt. . .

And copious amounts of alcohol :)

We had a healthy 10 inches of snow, more than the dusting we had a couple of weeks ago and the only snow we’ve seen here since 2011.

Enough to cause things to come to a grinding halt,

closing schools for two days and stopping mail delivery.

Apparently the creed: “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds” doesn’t apply here in the South :)

I know for everyone in the Northeast and Midwest, snow is a dirty four letter word, but it was a rare and welcome sight for us, provided you’re home and don’t have to get out in it.

A friend was making snow cream for her girls, a reminder of what a fun snowy day activity & treat that we enjoyed when we were growing up. If you’ve never had it, it’s like an icy milkshake in consistency as opposed to ice cream.

Collect your fresh snow (you can put a bowl out in advance if you remember) and mix with half and half or milk, vanilla, and sugar or use a short cut and mix it with sweetened condensed milk.

You can find a recipe for snow cream and variations by the reviews here.

For the adult version, and a Winter Survival Snow Cream Cocktail, fill a cocktail shaker with fresh, clean snow.

For two cocktails, (6 ounce glasses) I mixed 4 ounces each of Irish Cream, Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur and half and half.  Pour your ingredients in your snow filled shaker.

Your snow will melt, pack in as much additional snow as will fit in your shaker and immediately shake until mixed.

Pour into a *chocolate drizzled glass.

*For the chocolate drizzle:

Place your glass in the freezer to chill. Add your chocolate syrup to the inside of the glass and immediately return it to the freezer to help your chocolate drizzle firm up.

DSC_2347

You can see by the level of the Irish Cream in

my bottle that it’s time to mix up a new batch!

Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur

You can find an easy and

delicious blender recipe here.

I guarantee you’ll never want to buy it from the store again!

Hope you’re surviving the latest winter blast,

we all have our coping mechanisms :)

Hang in there,

Spring is 33 days away. . .

The sun will come out. . .

It will melt away. . .

And we’ll be picking and potting

flowers again soon!

Metamorphosis Monday,

The Scoop,  Inspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us Wednesdays,  Foodie Friday

35 comments for “Got Snow? Mix a Snow Cream Cocktail!

1. Elizabeth Smith
    February 15, 2014 at 10:09 am

I always love your posts and photography. Enjoy your day!

2. Carolyn Ericson
    February 15, 2014 at 10:11 am

Beautiful snow pics. I am jealous, you have a bottle tree. Love to see a Spring pic of it with the Sun reflecting off it. The snow cream cocktail looks inviting and is a great way to enjoy a snow storm.

• February 15, 2014 at 11:37 am

Hi Carolyn, I need to move my bottle tree. I planted a clematis vine to climb up and bloom in the spring last year but the blasted squirrels kept digging it up :)

3. February 15, 2014 at 10:21 am

It looks about the same here, we got about 14 inches then in the evening got about 2 more. The piles next to our driveway are probably 4 feet, God knows hw long it will be til it melts….maybe Spring:):) I wish I had seen this last night, I needed something like this. Settled for wine. Glorious pictures, Mary.

• February 15, 2014 at 11:32 am

Hi Pinky, I can’t imagine 4 foot piles of snow. It’s been a brutal winter for you, I hope the spring thaw comes sooner rather than later your way :)

4. February 15, 2014 at 10:44 am

Snow can be a pain, but it really is beautiful. Lovely photos,
    Mary, and that drink sounds heavenly.

5. February 15, 2014 at 10:58 am

Well, that looks like a nice way to deal with this crap. I’m in WV – we were hit with 8″ on the 13th (they said 1-3″), we managed to shovel that out and this morning have a light dusting over ice. And I’m trying to host a baby shower today with guests coming from OH and MI. I could really use one of those winter survival snow cream cocktails right about now! Beautiful photos, always!

• February 15, 2014 at 11:28 am

Oh dear…what a challenge to try to host a shower in this weather! Cocktails are needed all around :) Hope you warm up soon Rita!

6. Marie
    February 15, 2014 at 11:15 am

Mary, I am sure that you have been asked, and probably answered this question, but your photography is so wonderful that I wonder if you were formally trained? Your settings and your text are so lovely and artistic, but the accompanying photographs take it all to the top. Each post is a visual treat, and even though I am not a boat person, I look at your lakeside photographs and just want to stop by and visit. Thank you for giving all of us regular gifts of beauty. MM

• February 15, 2014 at 11:27 am

Thanks so much Marie {blush}…I took some photography classes in college and then didn’t pick up a camera again for 25 years. Cameras have come a long way since then :)

7. Karen
    February 15, 2014 at 11:18 am

Beautiful pictures! That snow cream cocktail looks divine:)

8. February 15, 2014 at 11:51 am

Beautiful pictures! As much as I’d like to hope, here in Michigan spring will not come in 33 days! Maybe twice that long! But I like how you’re making the best of it!!

9. February 15, 2014 at 12:05 pm

So creative and beautiful….as always!

10. February 15, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Gosh, you did get a lot of snow. Beautiful photos …and what an unusual sight to see it on a bottle tree. :) I could have used a snow cocktail a few days ago. We still have quite a bit of snow in the yard, even though it’s been warm. At least the streets are clear. Now that we’ve had a big winter, I’m about ready for Spring. Have a fun weekend.

11. February 15, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Mary, your lakeside abode is equally as beautiful covered in snow as it is when things are covered in blooms. Make me want to snuggle in by your fire and enjoy one of those adult beverages. Love Irish cream here, so will make the recipe. Never thought of making my own. ‘-)
    Blue skies and sunshine here in TX. It will be in the 60s today.
    Enjoy your pretty view before it melts away……..Sarah

12. February 15, 2014 at 1:16 pm

oh that was delightful! i was looking at pins when i saw all your snow, i thought they were old pics from years gone by, but there were so many i didn’t recall that i had to pop over and catch your alky in the snow show! you didn’t waste a moment finding out who could numb faster, snow or you and cocktails! wonderful shots, i love surprise moments like this, i am sure you are relishing every moment! if you are still awake after heavily coping… did you feel the earthquake too? wheres the puppies prints on the pier?

13. February 15, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Oh my goodness, your pictures are so beautiful!! I would love to live on a lake! You have such great style!! Thanks for sharing your Valentine popcorn mix!! My family loved it and now it will become a part of our special day too!! It might have to appear for Independence Day also! Cheers to you!
    Colette

14. February 15, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Stunning photos! My grandmother used to make us snow cream…the few times I saw snow when I spent time with her in Atlanta!

15. February 15, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I’ll have the adult version please! (But you already knew that:@) Your pics are beautiful Mary, nothing promises milder weather more than snow on a dock!

16. February 15, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Great post, Mary! As usual, your pictures are terrific. :) It’s fun to see the lake all surrounded by snow. I feel the same way you do about snow — it’s great to get a pretty one down here. This one has really hung around!

Your snow cream cocktail sounds delish! We used to have snow cream when I was growing up, and it was a real treat. Thanks for sharing the recipes — I’ve also pinned your homemade Irish cream recipe. Have a wonderful weekend and stay warm! :-D

Hugs,

Denise

17. February 16, 2014 at 7:32 am

Oh wow, your snow photos look beautiful.. And the Snow cocktail sounds delicious. We had 20 inches or more in one day and now I am ready for spring. Or a few of the Snow cocktails. Have a happy week!

18. February 16, 2014 at 9:14 am

10 inches! It was so much fun to see your place as a snowy wonderland! I was wondering if you lost power~ I must make sure that I make a snow cocktail next time around, and I hope I have a little sweater to put on my cocktail shaker! We did escape to the coast, and I feel guilty and lucky to enjoy some warm sunshine while most of the country is still battling old man winter~ I love the progression in your photos from the gray first snowy ones, to the gradual melt from the sun. I love the iron girl with snow “frosting” and the snow on your potting shed roof~

19. February 16, 2014 at 11:19 am

Absolutely beautiful snow photos. The snow cream was a treat when I was a child and we had a few inches of snow. In the south, that’s a lot! Milk and bread clear off the shelves in a flash here with the mention of snow. We had a dusting and a couple of inches here in the same winter. Your snow cocktails sure sound delicious and I love that little fur sweater…………We are expecting seventies next week………..

20. February 16, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Mary, your posts are always a feast for the eyes. Your snow cream cocktail sounds delicious. In fact, I just emailed it up to my brother in Maine to help him cope too…they had another foot and a half snow last night(now around four feet!). Thank you for all your wonderful and beautiful posts.

21. ann pauley
    February 16, 2014 at 11:31 pm

God does have beautiful snow designs, doesn’t He?
    ann p.

22. February 17, 2014 at 1:27 am

Love this! Your drink looks fantastic and the views are amazing.

– Alma, The Tablescaper

23. mary
    February 17, 2014 at 7:14 am

Just when I though I didn’t want to see another flake!!!! Our MD snow was mashed potato heavy this week so I had to transfer from shaker to blender.. what a.delicious and fun dessert drink! Even my beer geek husband loved it. Thanks for sharing.

24. Bev
    February 18, 2014 at 6:50 am

What a wonderful idea! Great way to enjoy the cold.

25. February 18, 2014 at 7:43 am

Sounds devine, love it and all the pics of the sow. So pretty. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

26. February 19, 2014 at 12:24 pm

These are some lovely photos.

As a kid I kept a huge snowball of clean snow on the back porch and every day I would pour just a little bit of soda pop on it and eat that part off. Such fun.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

27. January 22, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Mary, We’re awaiting the arrival of a storm and I’m dreaming of a snow cream! I’ve never had one so I think I’ll run out and put that bowl in a wide open space. I hope it’s not buried in the morning! Yum, sounds delicious! Linda

28. Sandi Allen
    January 23, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Love your photos. Simply Beautiful.
    Thank you for sharing the adult version of this drink. Yum!

Comments are closed.