Cranberry-Pecan Pie Crust Leaves

I saw this recipe in a special edition

magazine from Southern Living~

Turkey Pot Pie with Cranberry-Pecan Crusts!

Photo credit- Southern Living

Southern Living’s Turkey Pot Pie recipe sounded wonderful~ made with turkey cutlets, caramelized onions, and fresh spinach, but it was the Cranberry-Pecan Crusts that caught my eye and tempted my taste buds!

You bake the Cranberry-Pecan Crusts separately from the pot pie, adding them right before serving so they stay firm.

It sounded like a wonderful way to dress up your left over Thanksgiving turkey using with a basic turkey pot pie recipe, or Southern Living’s recipe, topping it with piecrust leaf “sandwiches” of pecans and cranberries!

You’ll need:

1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts

1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted

1/2 cup finely chopped dried cranberries

Unfold each piecrust, and press out any fold lines.

Sprinkle 1 piecrust with pecans and cranberries; top with remaining piecrust.

Roll into a 14-inch circle, sealing together piecrusts.

Cut into desired shapes with a 2- to 3-inch cutter. Reroll any scraps and repeat~ the pecans and cranberries will be on the top, not just in the middle, but that’s okay, they’re pretty that way too.

Place pastry shaped leaves on a lightly

greased baking sheet or parchment paper.

Bake at 425° for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.

Try to refrain from eating them like crackers, or go ahead and have a glass of wine too, it’s a holiday weekend :)

Arrange desired amount of Cranberry-Pecan Crusts over pot pie before serving. Serve with any remaining Cranberry-Pecan Crusts on the side.

You can find a printable recipe here.

Cranberry Pecan Pie Crust Leaves

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you for your visit, I’m joining:

Metamorphosis MondayThe Scoop,

Inspire Me TuesdayWow Us Wednesdays

Home Sweet HomeFoodie Friday

57 comments for “Cranberry-Pecan Pie Crust Leaves

1. November 23, 2012 at 6:15 am

Yum! This looks delish!

2. Debbie
    November 23, 2012 at 8:05 am

This looks amazing… lovely photos, lovely idea! Thank you for sharing!

3. November 23, 2012 at 10:08 am

This sounds delicious! Now if I only had some leftovers:( I am thinking about getting a turkey breast and cooking it to have some turkey!!! I hope you had a WONDERFUL day yesterday!!!

4. November 23, 2012 at 10:10 am

I know what I am making with my turkey leftovers! What a gorgeous presentation!!!!

5. November 23, 2012 at 10:35 am

Such a gorgeous presentation and looks delicious. I just picked up the Southern Living magazine :)

6. November 23, 2012 at 11:33 am

Mary, this is a wonderful idea. I grew up eating pie crust cinnamon bites. My grandmother and mother would take the left over pie crust, butter it, sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on the butter, and then bake them. I still do that today when I bake pies. So this is a new twist. I’m going to make some this weekend. Thanks for sharing.
    We had a delightful evening here with friends, fabulous food, and lots of dishes to clean up after. ;-)
    Hope you are feeling better today. Take care……..Sarah

7. November 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Sounds wonderful…Thank you for sharing it with us, Mary!
    I hope you had a ‘delicious’ Thanksgiving Day!

8. Suzi Lapere
    November 23, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Oh my! Yum.

9. November 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I have this recipe earmarked for leftover turkey. What would we do without SouthernLliving for food inspiration?

10. November 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Love this idea and so easy! I will definitely be trying this. Great post!

11. Happier Than A Pig in Mud
    November 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Such a fun idea and that pot pie is beautiful! And since you say it’s ok… I’ll have that glass of wine and a nibble:@)

12. November 23, 2012 at 9:17 pm

So neat.

– The Tablescaper

13. November 24, 2012 at 7:07 pm

This is wonderful! Thanks so much for the how to’s. I might be able to do this.:-)

14. November 24, 2012 at 9:34 pm

This looks really good! I need to find some little cutters like yours.

15. November 25, 2012 at 7:49 am

Your pecan cranberry leaves are beautiful! You never cease to amaze me!

Big Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

16. November 25, 2012 at 9:05 am

Wonderful to have you linking with Seasonal Sundays.

– The Tablescaper

17. November 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

These look wonderful, Mary! I was thinking I would be eating them before they got on the pot pie when I read your paragraph to get a glass of wine – LOL. I must try these!

18. November 26, 2012 at 3:41 am

The cranberry-pecan crusts are beautiful, Mary–I love the leaf and acorn shapes! I bet they are delicious, too.

19. November 26, 2012 at 7:08 am

saw your link at a party and had to come over for the recipe. This is so intriguing and I have to make them. I just need to find some of those adorable acorn and leaves cutters. :) Enjoyed reading your recent blog post. Thank you for sharing. xo

20. November 26, 2012 at 8:21 am

Another winner! I love cranberry anything. Feeling better? I hope so!

21. November 26, 2012 at 9:47 am

Oh my these look so good!

22. November 26, 2012 at 10:00 am

What a great idea, to cook them separately. I’ll have to try that the next time I make a pot pie.

23. Sarita
    November 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I’m thinking a little egg wash and sprinkle of sugar on the cut outs for. Nice snack.

24. Deirdre
    November 26, 2012 at 11:51 pm

These remind me of “squashed fly” biscuits.

25. November 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm

What a festive way to dress up a pot pie. I can’t wait to try this yummy recipe, Mary!

26. December 5, 2012 at 4:08 am

You are truly an awesome cook……..what an attractive idea for leftovers….

27. December 12, 2012 at 1:07 am

This sounds amazing. Definitely going to have to try it. I could have an enormous amount of trouble not eating them like crackers.

28. Lynne
    September 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

My Husbands Mom used to make Pie crust cookies. She would roll out the crust, sprinkle a little sugar, and cut the crust into rectangles and bake. This is Pie crust cookies squared!

29. Sheila
    October 5, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Can’t wait to try these. I make Pie crust cookies with a small amount of milk, sugar & cinnamon. Roll in a log, slice with wet knife to make pinwheel cookies. It’s generational now x3 and still passing on. Looking forward to now passing on this tradition as well.

30. October 5, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I long to make these and soon.

Home is where the RV is!!

31. Ann
    October 12, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I’ve made this for years. It’s very good and quite elegant. Pretty darn simple too. I’ve always used the turkey tenderloins called for but leftovers might work too.

32. October 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I added a chocolate cinnamon cream cheese spread with the cranberries. I also did a butter cinnamon sugar coating on the top. Make it into dessert.

33. Brenda
    October 18, 2013 at 4:27 am

I am so trying these this week! These are perfect for out of town guests….the fact that we too have two Bichon’s has nothing to do with it! :)
    I do love your blog and your recipes and your little dogs too! Lol!

34. Sharon
    October 18, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I have a tradition of making “pie cookies” for grandkids each Thanksgiving with extra pie crust and sugar & cinnamon. I will definitely be adding this this year. I think my family will love it when they arrive from out of town! Thanks!!

35. Gloria
    October 30, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Pretty sure they would be good on top of a pumpkin pie or to top an apple pie istead of the upper crust

36. November 1, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I love this idea Mary!

37. November 3, 2013 at 11:02 am

Oh, could these little treats be any cuter!!!???
    Thanks for sharing this recipe! I recieved a set of leaf cookie cutters years ago and I am so sad to say, they are still in a little round tin waiting to be used!
    Love this idea!
    Thanks so much for linking up Mary.
    Your images, as always are divine.
    xox
    A

38. November 4, 2013 at 9:11 am

I wonder if you could add a little parmesan to the nuts and cranberries and then sprinkle the top of the crust with a bit of sea salt to make a nice appetizer? Hmmm…

39. November 8, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I’m going to make these as an appetizer for Thanksgiving, adding some Parmesan & sea salt as Karen suggested above. Perfect with some wine, olives, etc. Thanks for a FABULOUS idea. The presentation is perfect.

40. Andromeda
    November 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I’m so glad I found these! I, too, am going to make them as Thanksgiving appetizers and I’ll be making some goat cheese dip with maple syrup and sage!

41. Claire mackenzie
    November 14, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Will be making them for sure!! They look so great!!!

42. Beverly Phelps
    November 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I saw this on Pinterest, it looks wonderful. I plant to make these for a special “Girls Night” coming up, I think they would be great with wine! So glad I found your blog, I will be checking in often.

43. Natalie
    November 20, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Will be trying these for a Thanksgiving party at work this week. I think I’ll add a little orange zest to the cranberries & pecans, and maybe sprinkle a little sugar on top. Looks wonderful – can’t wait to try them!

44. Rattlebridge Farm
    November 22, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I love your pie crust leaves, Mary. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

45. Pingback: Four Friday Finds
  46. November 25, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I just finished making circular pecan-cranberry pie crusts. Instead of leaves I used a circular 2′” cutter with scalloped edges. They are beautiful – I should say they were beautiful. My husband ate ALL of them except 4 of the 36 before they could cool off. I had to adjust my oven because 8 minutes was to much for the small circles. I found that 6 minutes and they were done. I’ll make some in the morning. They make the house smell wonderful. Thanks!

47. Sara
    November 28, 2013 at 9:05 pm

These look absolutely amazing!

48. Kim Martins
    December 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

I LOVE this but unfortunately have been unable to find any leaf cutters for the past couple months. Any links? Cutting by hand is getting old.

49. December 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm

There are lots of leaf cookie cutters available from Amazon here.

50. January 24, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Just saw these on Pinterest and had to check out the recipe. They look so fancy but seem easy to make. What a way to fancy up a pot pie! Thanks for sharing!

51. April 11, 2014 at 11:08 am

My kids will absolutely love these. Thanks for sharing!

52. September 6, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Have you made these with puff pastry, I saw this on Pinterest, Love the idea, I’m going to make these for my Pumpkin Carving party this October, I’m imagining all the wonderful things I can squeeze between 2 sheets of pie dough for other things. Thanks for the idea

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,335 other followers