Skillet Bourbon, Peach and Blueberry Crumble!

Skillet Bourbon Peach and Blueberry Crumble

We’re enjoying the fruit of the season and

Bourbon, Peach and Blueberry Crumble is

a celebration of summer fruit in a skillet!

I used 6-inch skillets that I found at Cracker Barrel for Patriotic Berry Skillet Cobbler. My hubby is a fan of more topping-to-fruit ratio, which the smaller skillets are ideal for since they’re not as deep as a regular size skillet, and you can enjoy your own generous serving of crumble or cobbler!

The bourbon in this recipe adds a depth of flavor, vanilla, caramel and oak, rather than booziness to the fruit.

This recipe calls for 1/4 cup of bourbon (2 ounces) so a mini bottle is just the right amount if you don’t have any in your liquor cabinet or on your nightstand :)  You can substitute orange juice for an alcohol free alternative but the bourbon is the magic ingredient in the crumble!

Skillet Bourbon, Peach and Blueberry Crumble,

adapted from Guy Fieri, Food Network

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

For the filling:

6 cups sliced peaches (about 5 peaches)

1 cup blueberries

1/4 cup (2 ounces) bourbon

*1/4 cup sugar (you may need to add more depending on the sweetness of your peaches and tartness of your blueberries)

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the topping:

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

2 tablespoons heavy cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the peaches, blueberries, bourbon, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix well to coat the peaches and blueberries and set aside.

In a second large bowl, make the topping by combining the flour, oats, sugar and salt. Add the cold butter cubes and cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender or pulse dry ingredients with butter together in a food processor. Mix until the texture is coarse and holds together in clumps in your palm when you give it a squeeze. Add heavy cream and mix just until the dough comes together a bit more.

Pour the filling into a 12-inch cast-iron skillet (I used two 6-inch skillets), then spoon the topping mixture evenly over the filling. I had enough topping left over for another 6-inch skillet that I saved and tossed in the freezer.

Place skillet(s) onto a baking sheet to keep oven clean and to catch any fruit that bubbles over (mine did). Bake crumble uncovered in a 375 degrees F oven, 30 to 40 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling around the edges and the topping is golden in color.

The peach & blueberry filling is not overly sweet so it’s perfect served with vanilla ice cream!

You can find a printable recipe, HERE.

Patchwork Fruit Cobbler

Or help yourself to some Patchwork Fruit Cobbler with an easy to assemble patchwork crust made of squares of sugar-crusted pastry. Recipe HERE.

DSC_0972

Taste the Fruit Tablescape, HERE.

“Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.”

~Henry David Thoreau

Skillet Bourbon, Peach and Blueberry Crumble

Thank you for your visit, I’m joining:

Metamorphosis MondayThe Scoop,

Inspire Me TuesdayWow Us Wednesdays,

Home Sweet Home,

Tablescape ThursdayFoodie Friday

21 comments for “Skillet Bourbon, Peach and Blueberry Crumble!

1. Lynn@Happier Than A Pig In Mud
    August 15, 2014 at 5:32 am

I’d have this for breakfast! But I’ll be good… sans ice cream:@) Lovin’ your beautiful retro dish towel Mary, the edging is so detailed and pretty! That’s a great saying too, truly words to live by!

2. August 15, 2014 at 7:02 am

I use little skillets, too, which makes it easy to make a just right size serving. I got 10 pounds of wild Maine blueberries yesterday so there are lots of crumbles in our future.

3. August 15, 2014 at 7:07 am

I too love your retro towels. How perfect to showcase with the blueberry peach cobbler! Yum!

4. August 15, 2014 at 8:17 am

I’ve made blueberry-peach crumble twice this summer, and we ate it for breakfast, with some Half&Half poured over it. Wish I had thought of adding bourbon! I’m off to Cracker Barrel to buy those cute little skillets. (Already have the bourbon!) 😉

5. August 15, 2014 at 8:27 am

This is breakfast right? And bourbon on the nightstand is probably a good idea too! I do agree, the real deal [booze] in recipes does add a subtle layer of flavor that just doesn’t happen with substitutions~ I know we’d love this but I don’t have any cute little skillets…I don’t even have a 12″ cast iron…I know, shhhh…I’m pretty sure that’s illegal in the south. This looks so good I might just to buy one!

6. August 15, 2014 at 8:41 am

Yum yum YUM! Aren’t I articulate this morning!

7. August 15, 2014 at 9:51 am

Oh this is wonderful…I hope they still carry those skillets at Cracker Barrel…will have to look on my next trip!…looks amazing as always Mary…and must say, I love that tablecloth!!!

8. Debbie
    August 15, 2014 at 10:14 am

You are always so inspiring. Thank you.

9. Terry
    August 15, 2014 at 11:31 am

Yum yum….and I’m talking about your stunning photos!!! Love the vintage dish towel.

10. Karen
    August 15, 2014 at 12:31 pm

That looks absolutely delicious.. some of my favorite fruits. Great photos too -

11. August 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I think I have all of the ingredients for this crumble – now I know what’s for dessert tonight! Thanks!

12. August 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Beautiful….wish we could get good peaches here…they are usually too mealy because they’re picked too early for shipping…

13. August 15, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Oh my, Mary, your hubby must be in crumble topping heaven with this fabulous dessert! I’d be, too!! Those little skillets sure come in handy. I love your vintage looking table covering,too.
    Happy weekend!

14. August 15, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I sure wish you lived closer!!!!! YUM!!!! You are amazing…. your food, flowers, table-setting… all of it DIVINE! Thanks for sharing the recipes as I was hoping to make a peach cobbler this week with some fresh peaches I just picked up.

15. August 15, 2014 at 9:12 pm

After seeing this post, I’m off to Cracker Barrel to see if they have these little skillets! I’m not sure what kind of bourbon we have in the house, but I know where it’s going to end up soon! :)

16. August 15, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Hi Mary, I’ve always thought that peaches and blueberries were two of the prettiest fruits, and they sure look pretty together. I’m all about fruit cobbler, fruit crumbles, and fruit pies. This fruit crumble recipe looks especially good and I’m sure hubby and I would love it! Thanks for sharing, Mary! Your post is beautiful, as always; I really love your vintage towel with the pretty edging.

I’m off to pin these recipes! I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

Hugs,

Denise

17. August 16, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Oh, yum! I could dig in and be one happy girl. I think I’m going to the store shortly. Need to bake something sweet.

18. franki
    August 16, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Salivating…a lot!! franki

19. August 17, 2014 at 9:15 am

I will be running to CB soon to see if they have the skillets!!! When I have cereal in the morning I always top it with nectarines and blueberries. I haven’t found a good peach here, but the nectarines are delicious! This looks fabulous. Nightstand???:):):)

20. Rattlebridge Farm
    August 18, 2014 at 12:17 am

Hmm, I wonder if CB is still open tonight….this is a must-make dessert!

21. August 20, 2014 at 10:39 am

Yum! I thought about making this for my husband and I this week . . . so I smiled when I saw that you made some too.
    Love the addition of bourbon!
    Thanks for sharing :0)
    Suzanne

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,166 other followers