A is for Animals

A is for Animals . . . from Apes to Zoos :-)

This week’s letter assignment is the letter A.

I am an animal lover~  All these wonderful animal photos are courtesy of the NC Zoo~ that I shared with a recent review of a great book, Zoo Story , and you can find here.

Zoo Story, written by Thomas French, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter, based on six years of research, takes us behind the scenes at Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo. The characters are noteworthy:  Herman, a species-confused chimp with a preference for blondes; Enshalla, a Sumatran tiger who revels in Obsession perfume; and the egomaniacal and brilliant CEO, Lex Salisbury, who is the driving force behind the zoo’s growing pains, its triumphs and its tragedies.

A is also for Apes~

In Ape House, by Sara Gruen, which I am currently reading:

Sam, Bonzi, Lola, Mbongo, Jelani, and Makena are no ordinary apes. These bonobos, like others of their species, are capable of reason and carrying on deep relationships—but unlike most bonobos, they also know American Sign Language.

You can read more about Bonobos at Great Ape Trust.

Leave a comment on one of my favorite author’s blog here~ between now and noon EST, Friday 9/24~  for a chance to win a signed copy of Ape House.

My love of animals also extends to canines. . .

A is also for Adoption. . .Chloe & Gracie hope that you’ll become a Pedigree fan~

Pedigree Adoption Drive

PEDIGREE Adoption Drive is donating a bowl of food to shelter dogs for everyone who becomes a “Fan” or “Likes” The PEDIGREE Adoption Drive on Facebook. To date, over one million bowls have been donated–it’s a simple, fast, and free way you can contribute to a homeless dog’s dinner!  The Facebook promotion is going on now through December 31, 2010. For new every fan, shelters selected by PEDIGREE will receive  8 oz of PEDIGREE® Brand dry food for dogs, up to a total of 2 million lbs. of food, the equivalent of one bowl of food for each of the estimated four million dogs that wind up in shelters and breed rescue organizations each year.

Stop by Jenny Matlock’s Aphabe-Thursday for more Alphabet Fun ~

18 comments for “A is for Animals

1. September 21, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Fantastic post, Mary. I’m taking a semester off from Mrs. Matlock’s Alphabet Class. It’s great fun, but a weekly commitment doesn’t fit my schedule at the moment, and I’m so obsessive that I would feel I need to participate each lesson. ;-)
    Your photos are totally awesome! ~ Sarah
    PS
    Chloe and Gracie steal my heart each time I see their sweet faces.

2. September 21, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Hello! I could just continue to scroll down through all of your posts as each is filled with delightful photos! I am having a great time :) So nice stopping by to visit with you!

Kindly, ldh

3. September 21, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Beautiful Mary!!! I love all animals as well. Of course, you know my favorites are Chloe and Gracie!!

4. September 21, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Wonderful photographs…and thank you for sharing so many great reads!

5. September 21, 2010 at 8:42 pm

oh you are brave, i could not read ape house, i knew it was more then i could handle animal wise, how are you holding up?

love all your collages, sooooooooo many excellent pics! the bears floating is my fav :-)

fabulous post loved every animal pic in sight!

6. September 22, 2010 at 9:21 pm

These a super! I will have to bring JDaniel back to check out the pictures.

7. September 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm

What a great post! I love that you shared information on the Great Ape Trust. It is close to me, and I really want to find time to get there. Great cause with Pedigree!

Mine is here. http://razzamadazzle.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/angels/

8. September 22, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Great post! Wonderful pictures. Have you read Tracy Chevalier’s novel Remarkable Creatures? Hubs and I listened to it in the car on CD while on our trip this past weekend. It was a wonderful book!

9. September 22, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Excellent post. That ape face…WOW! I heard about the pedigree thing on Cheryl’s blog (I think) love it!

10. September 23, 2010 at 12:33 am

These are truly exquisite pictures of animals. I’m in the process of teaching my grade 5’s all about animals in science. Of course I try and impress upon them the importance of taking care of the environment as well so that these beautiful creatures do not go extinct! One mind at a time, they say….children as very sensitive little citizens. Thanks for sharing.

Anne-Marie

11. September 23, 2010 at 6:50 am

What a fantastic post. I am a huge animal lover so this is even more wonderful to me! Like you, I am reading Sara Gruen’s latest book! Beautiful, beautiful animals!
    Happy Alphabet Day!
    Coralie

12. September 23, 2010 at 8:18 am

Wonderful photos of animals! I love the photo of the dogs!

13. September 23, 2010 at 11:27 am

What a beautiful post with the photos to match! Animals are such a blessing.

=)

14. September 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I’m also an animal lover..beautiful pics…

15. September 24, 2010 at 2:11 pm

What a wonderful link to Alphabe-Thursday. I will be showing my granddaughter this when she gets home from preschool. The animal pictures are really amazing.

I visited your friends blog. The book sounds really interesting.

And may I ask where you found those measuring cups in your sidebar under “A Bowl of Cherries”? They are soooo sweet.

Thank you for this fascinating stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday.

A

16. Pondside
    September 26, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Gorgeous mosaics and photos and beautiful animals – of course, I love the canines best of all!

17. September 26, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Fantastic blog! I actually love how it is easy on my eyes as well as the information are well written. I am wondering how I can be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which should do the trick! Have a nice day!

18. October 29, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I love animals, and this post is tops!!
    thanks for the gorgeous pictures!
    Susan