Apple Chutney

Apple Chutney is perfect for fall or the holidays

to accompany pork, turkey,

roasted chicken or grilled salmon!

I came by this recipe for Apple Week

with The Novel Bakers, from a delicious read~

The Apple Orchard by Susan Wiggs.

Apple Chutney,

Makes 2 pints, using large Granny Smith apples

Ingredients

3 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced (I used Granny Smith)

1/2 cup chopped white onion

1 tablespoon minced ginger root

1/2 cup orange juice

1/3 cup cider vinegar

1 teaspoon grainy mustard (I used a generous tablespoon)

1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup raisins or currants (I used currants)

Combine all ingredients except the raisins or currants in a heavy saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly, then reduce to simmer and stir occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated; about 45 minutes.

Remove from heat and add raisins/currants.

Store in the refrigerator covered up to 2 weeks or can using traditional methods.

~recipe courtesy of The Apple Orchard, via the Washington State Apple Commission.

Perfect to add to rolls of pork tenderloin

or turkey for a holiday party!

Also delicious served with cheese & crackers

for entertaining!

Try it with a pepper crusted goat cheese,

bleu cheese or sharp cheddar!

And makes a delicious

hostess gift for the holidays

in half pint jars.

Apple Chutney

Marvelous Mondays, Metamorphosis Monday,

The ScoopInspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us WednesdaysTutorials Tips and Tidbits,

Foodie FridayHome Sweet Home,

Be Inspired FridaySeasonal Sundays

26 comments for “Apple Chutney

1. November 1, 2013 at 5:47 am

Mary, this sounds good and I think I have all the ingredients on hand. Yippee!

2. November 1, 2013 at 5:59 am

This sounds yummy Mary, I love Granny Smith’s! Also love that it makes a manageable amount. I’m sure it has great flavor for pork but Earl says it’s turkey time:@)

3. Sandi Lee
    November 1, 2013 at 6:05 am

I love chutney especially mango so I will be making this for Thanksgiving! Sounds like it will be wonderful with turkey. Thanks so much!

4. November 1, 2013 at 6:35 am

That sounds really good. I think I will try it out. :)

5. November 1, 2013 at 6:51 am

This looks and sounds soooo yummy! Definitely want to try it.

6. November 1, 2013 at 7:24 am

I’m crazy about chutney but have never made it though it doesn’t seem too complicated except for the chopping. One of these days…..

7. November 1, 2013 at 7:36 am

Hi Mary, I love chutney and your close up photo of the open jar makes me want to dig in! I have so many apples and this would be a good place to start using them ~~ the extra mustard sounds like a great idea too. Linda

8. Bonbongirl
    November 1, 2013 at 8:34 am

What a wonderful addition to the upcoming Holidays as well as a great hostess gift idea! You never cease to amaze :)

9. November 1, 2013 at 8:44 am

This sounds so good and not too hard to make. Love the little jars for hostess gifts. Your presentation is so pretty as always.

10. November 1, 2013 at 8:58 am

This recipe is right up my alley! It will be perfect to go with a pork roast this weekend! It is after all apple season🍂

11. November 1, 2013 at 9:00 am

Mary where did you get the cute little jars?

12. Cheryl
    November 1, 2013 at 9:21 am

Mary, that sounds delicious! Do you serve it cold right out of the fridge? Sounds like it would be good served warm.

• November 1, 2013 at 10:06 am

Cheryl, For sliders we use it cold but you can serve it warm or room temperature. It’s great grilled with cheese on a panini too :)

13. Peggy Thal
    November 1, 2013 at 10:29 am

Looks so delicious with the turkey on cute little buns !

14. November 1, 2013 at 10:30 am

i knew you made this back during apple week and i wondered what happened to it! first, i must say i LOVE your labels! so cute, so high style! this looks fabulous, when you said you made it i sat back to see what it looked like, now you have indeed wet my apple whistle again! gorgeous pics and styling, always a treat~

15. November 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I am definitely going to have to try this one! I love apples and chutney… this looks so yummy my mouth is already watering, lol! thanks for sharing, I think!!! :D
    Hugs

16. November 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Sounds delicious! A bit different than my experiments with apple chutney…need to try this one!

17. November 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Oh my…this does sound good and looks amazing! Thanks so much for the recipe!

18. November 1, 2013 at 6:18 pm

YUM! Hey girl I’ve missed your creativity & had to pop by for a fix. Traveling & remodeling a house is a $$$ & time pit. I LOVED YOUR HAND PIE POST!!!! I would love to do that. I’m trying to get caught up & will treat myself with favorite blogs at least once a week. Heck… I even posted for the first time in ages. MAYBE I’ll get back in the swing. HUGS!

19. November 1, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I wish I hadn’t used up all my apples in a cake this week…now I’ll have to shop for more, as this really sounds yummy. Putting it on a turkey sandwich really appeals to me right now and what a great “take home” gift that would make for my T’day guests.
    Thanks a million for telling us how you made it.

p.s. I would have increased the grainy mustard too…that stuff really doesn’t have much of a kick, huh?

20. barbara
    November 2, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Mary, sounds delicious!!!!! I just made escalloped apples with pork last week. This one is a must make, yummy!!!! Sounds great served with cheeses also.. Thanks for the recipe, tis the season for apples..

21. November 3, 2013 at 10:20 am

I am a big fan of chutney, but have never made an apple variety. Thanks for the recipe. I’ll be trying this one.

22. November 3, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! It sounds like the perfect pairing with chicken and or goat cheese.

Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

23. November 3, 2013 at 2:00 pm

What a terrific idea for sliders, wonderful for the holidays, sounds divine~you really got my attention when you mentioned it is good on grilled cheese~there isn’t anything better than a grilled cheese it my book! Thanks for the recipe and party food idea!

24. November 5, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chutneys. I look high and low for chutney recipes because they have a magic that no other relish has! Glad you posted at the Marvelous Mondays link party. I’ve pinned, liked, twittered and G+-ed your post. I’d love it if you dropped by for a visit at http://www.kneadedcreations.com . I look forward to seeing you over there! Deb @ Kneaded Creations.

Comments are closed.