DSC_7088.1

Deadly Morsels and Twisted Treats, aka

Pretzel S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

are a quick and easy treat for Halloween!

DSC_6954.1

They start with Pillsbury Ready To Bake!® Chocolate Chunk & Chip Cookies as a base and are layered with marshmallows, pretzel twists and deadly morsels, aka Nestle Toll House Halloween Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels. These bars are ready from start to finish in less than 25 minutes, and like Easy Caramel Apple Bars, the hardest part is waiting for them to cool long enough to cut!

Pretzel S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

I found the Halloween Limited Edition morsels at Target, if you can’t find them, substitute regular semi-sweet morsels.

You could always add some Halloween sprinkles if you want to add some seasonal color to dress your twisted treats.

DSC_7064.1

Deadly Morsels and Twisted Treats, aka

Pretzel S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, recipe adapted from Pillsbury

Ingredients

16 oz. pkg Pillsbury Ready To Bake!® Chocolate Chunk & Chip Cookies

½ cup miniature marshmallows

25 to 30 mini pretzel twists (or enough to cover marshmallow layer)

½ cup Nestle Toll House Halloween Semi-Sweet Chocolate and Orange Colored Morsels or semisweet chocolate chips

DSC_7068.1

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over opposite sides of pan. Spray foil with nonstick spray.

Place cookie dough in bottom of pan. Press dough with fingers to flatten and cover bottom of pan in even layer.

DSC_7080.1

Bake 14 – 18 minutes or just until center is set.

Sprinkle marshmallows over partially baked crust. Arrange pretzels over marshmallows in 5 or 6 rows of 5 pretzels each. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.

Return to oven; bake 5 minutes longer or until marshmallows appear melted.

Allow bars to cool in pan before cutting. (Pillsbury’s recipe said to cool 30 minutes but my bars were still too sticky. I had better luck cutting after refrigerating for a couple of hours.)

Lift bars from pan by using foil overhang; place on cutting board. Cut bars to desired size and store in airtight container.

Printable Recipe

DSC_7095.1-001

Cupcake liners provide an easy and festive way to serve these twisted treats

and keep sinister skeletal hands marshmallow-free <|:>)

You’re welcome to join me at the table here for more

Deadly Morsels and Twisted Treats!

Thank you for your visit, sharing with:

Metamorphosis MondayThe ScoopWow Us Wednesdays
 Foodie Friday

12 comments for “Deadly Morsels and Twisted Treats, aka Pretzel S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

1. October 24, 2014 at 7:15 am

There is nothing better than sweet and salty in my book Mary, and if you throw in a chocolate chip cookie it must be heaven! Love your Halloween twisted treats Mary, you always come up with the best festive indulgences!

2. October 24, 2014 at 7:22 am

They sure sound like a fa-BOO-liss sticky treat Mary! You even got the pretzels to slice cleanly, very nice:@)

3. October 24, 2014 at 8:08 am

What’s not to like with this treat, Mary??!! It’s so easy, but sounds totally delicious and perfect for my little kitchen helpers.

4. October 24, 2014 at 9:41 am

You make the best treats and love those dishes!!!…Have a great weekend Mary!

5. October 24, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Another delicious treat! How do you do all of this, Mary? You truly amaze me with your endless talent. Loving those cute plates. I need to get busy and set a Halloween table. I’m about to run out of time for this year. ;-)

6. October 24, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Oh boy, these could be DEADLY:):) Look SOOOO good! Have a beautiful weekend!

7. October 25, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Mary, I wish I’d seen this post earlier. I spent yesterday baking items for a local bake sale, and I would have loved to make these, mainly so that I could taste them! Love the sweet/salty combination!

8. RS
    October 26, 2014 at 8:29 am

I made these treats last night , very easy and very tasty! I couldn’t wait for the refrigeration part, so ate a bite or two straight from the pan.

9. October 27, 2014 at 8:56 pm

These sound soooo good! And super easy to make! Found you on A Stroll Thru Life link up! Kyla @ http://houseofhipsters.com/

10. Carolyn
    October 29, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Mary, I generally just love reading your blog & perusing the delightful photos of your creative decor. I also enjoy changing my interiors for the four seasons & even add a couple more “seasons” of my own.

However, Halloween has become such a huge disappointment to me over the years! The decorations, costumes & even the foods have become sinister instead of playfully scary.

I love pumpkins, autumn leaves, acorns, sunflowers, hay bales & all the rest. When our kids were small we took them trick-or-treating in selected neighborhoods where we knew the home owners.

As we have all seen, Halloween has become the season of horror movies, zombies, skeletons & lots of gore & blood. Some of the food ideas are cute but lots of them are just disgusting!

Now I really just hate Halloween! I can scarcely wait for it to be over & done with every year. I do so love Thanksgiving but it is the most neglected holiday instead of one of the most precious! Unfortunately, the industry will go straight from Halloween to Christmas & New Year’s with scarcely a nod to Thanksgiving. It ‘s really the saddest thing!

• October 30, 2014 at 6:15 am

Sorry Carolyn! I try to keep the ‘Happy’ in Halloween and I have one more Halloween post this morning that I upped the spook factor for with some scary graphics I downloaded and added to my table in my potting shed. Hide your eyes or come back after Friday :) I love Thanksgiving too and it is neglected, I promise to share some Thanksgiving tables and recipes soon!

11. Carolyn
    October 30, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Mary, thank you for such a prompt & kind reply! I so appreciate you hearing my heart & giving me a friendly little warning about Thursday’s post. I read it anyway & was glad not to see eyeballs nor fake blood. (; Looking forward to all your Thanksgiving postings. You do have such a gift with decor, & especially tablescapes!