Oh So Good & Easy Patriotic Dessert: Star-Spangled Slab Pie

I have an oh so good and easy dessert with a patriotic nod to Memorial Day or the Fourth of July, Star-Spangled Slab Pie!

If you’re not familiar with slab pie, it’s a shallow pie that’s baked in jelly roll pan or rimmed baking sheet. It serves more people than your standard 9-inch pie with much less effort. Less work makes for an ideal holiday dessert and more time for celebrating the Red, White and Blueberry! Use refrigerated piecrust for a short cut or use your favorite pastry recipe.

You’ll need star cookie cutters for a star-spangled decoration for the top of the pie. I used a Star Fondant Double Cut-Outs Set by Wilton that I found at Michaels, with six graduated sizes, but two or three sizes of stars will work for your decoration. I used my favorite combination of lemon curd and cream cheese for the filling. You’ll have a little extra lemon curd and cream cheese left over~  serve it with berries, layer it in a Patriotic Berry Trifle, use it as a filling for a shortbread cookie sandwich, or eat it with a spoon. ;)

Star-Spangled Slab Pie, recipe adapted from Pillsbury

Ingredients

3 refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box (from 2 boxes)

2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened (I used Neufchâtel)

1 (10 oz.) jar lemon curd

6 cups assorted berries (sliced strawberries, blueberries and blackberries)

sanding sugar or regular sugar

star cookie cutters

Heat oven to 450°F. Remove 2 of the pie crusts from pouches. Unroll and stack on lightly floured surface. Roll to 17×12-inch rectangle. Fit crust into ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan, pressing into corners. Fold crust even with edges of pan. Prick crust several times with fork.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove another pie crust from pouch. On lightly floured surface, unroll crust. Roll to 12-inch circle. Cut stars using cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on large ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Brush with water; sprinkle with sugar.

Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet. Remove to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.

In medium bowl, beat cream cheese and lemon curd with electric mixer until smooth. Spread evenly into crust-lined pan. Refrigerate about 30 minutes or until chilled.

Add berries evenly on top of cream cheese-topped pie crust. Place pie crust stars on top of berry mixture.

You can find a printable recipe, HERE.

I found an 1881 Rogers Oneida Ltd. Bicentennial Silverplate Pierced Pie Server at a favorite antique mall last year. Fun for a serving a patriotic dessert! You can find one like it on eBay, here.

Help yourself to another easy patriotic dessert. . .

Star-Spangled Fruit Tart

A quick and easy dessert with a chocolate chip cookie dough crust

If you need more star-spangled inspiration, you can find it here:

12 Patriotic Recipes to Celebrate the Red, White and Blueberry!

Wishing you a Safe & Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Sharing with:  Metamorphosis MondayThe ScoopWow Us Wednesdays,
 Foodie Friday and Everything Else Link Party

17 comments for “Oh So Good & Easy Patriotic Dessert: Star-Spangled Slab Pie

1. Sue
    May 24, 2017 at 7:06 am

Hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend Mary!! Your desserts look yummy!!

2. May 24, 2017 at 7:58 am

Could I please have a pice of your slab pie for my breakfast this morning, Mary? It is so beautiful and easy, and star studded to perfection. Your pie server was a great find at the antique store. I could also go for a piece of the yummy tart. You do know how I love my sweets. Thanks for sharing your recipes with us. xx

3. May 24, 2017 at 8:01 am

Great dessert and that pie server – oh my! Love it!

4. May 24, 2017 at 8:17 am

I’m crazy over your star spangled slab pie Mary!! My group would devour that in no time!! I’m going to make a red white and blueberry something, but I keep changing my mind, maybe this is the solution! I love all your red white & blue creations~

5. Roxanne
    May 24, 2017 at 8:29 am

I was also set to make a lemonade pie for my Bible group, now I think I’ve changed my mind! You had me at the magic words “lemon curd”!

6. May 24, 2017 at 9:20 am

How festive! I have plain star cutters but none with those pretty ruffled edges.
    Thanks for sharing these, Mary….very lovely!

May 24, 2017 at 9:39 am

I love easy, great looking / tasting recipes. I was going to bake a Cherry Dump Cake, but now I may try this instead but the tart is also very tempting! Thanks for all the great recipes. LOVE the patriotic spoon! You find the greatest things. I want to go to your favorite antique shop :) Happy Memorial Day!

8. May 24, 2017 at 10:05 am

It is so festive and patriotic, and with lemon curd and cream cheese it is a win-win! Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

9. Debbie
    May 24, 2017 at 10:30 am

Marry you really know how to celebrate. Everything you do is picture perfect!!! I would love to be on your guest list. Happy Memorial Day!

10. franki
    May 24, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Salute!! franki

11. May 25, 2017 at 5:10 am

Very pretty Mary! I love your neat eagle server and wish I had a piece of pie to go with my morning coffee now:@)

12. May 25, 2017 at 8:33 am

RED, WHITE & BLUE all the way!! Have a great Memorial Day!! And remember all that gave all for us!! Thank you to all for your service! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

13. Lynette
    May 28, 2017 at 3:06 pm

As always, your cooking and decorating gift is truly God given and such a blessing to us! I made this the day you posted as I was having out of state loved ones and it was toooooo gorgeous not to. I needed my rectangular pan for the main dish, so I made this in my large round tart pan and it was awesome and such a hit! Always, thank you SO MUCH for the time and effort you put into this wonderful blog! You are the only one I follow these last few years. Everything else seems a waste of time in comparison and time is precious. God bless you and yours!

• May 28, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Thanks so much for your sweet comment Lynette and letting me know your tart was a hit. Happy Memorial Day to you!

14. June 3, 2017 at 8:01 am

Looks beautiful and delicious! Thanks for sharing this quick and easy recipe! Sounds perfect for a summer get together