Easy Caramel Apple Bars!

EASY CARAMEL APPLE BARS

Easy Caramel Apple Bars start with an oatmeal cookie mix and are layered with apples and caramel topping. They’re delicious anytime since Granny Smith apples are readily available, but especially good over Labor Day since they require very little work for a sweet & satisfying treat!

This crowd-pleasing bar recipe comes together in 15 minutes and bakes in about 20. The hardest part is waiting for them to cool long enough to cut!

The original recipe called for baking them in a 9 x 13 pan. I made two batches of these bars in one week, they’re that good. After reading the reviews, I made the first batch in an 8 x 8 pan. This batch was baked in 11 x 7 pan which I think works best. For a thicker bar that oozes caramel, use an 8 x 8 pan.

Easy Caramel Apple Bars, adapted from Betty Crocker

Ingredients

1 stick cold butter, cut into cubes

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ oatmeal cookie mix

1 egg

1 1/2 cups chopped peeled apple (I used Granny Smith)

3/4 cup caramel topping (I used Smucker’s Salted Caramel Topping)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F. Line entire 11 x 7-inch pan with parchment paper or foil, extending  parchment/foil over edge of pan. Coat with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, cut butter into cookie mix using a fork or pastry blender. Stir in egg until mixture is crumbly.

Easy Caramel Apple Bars

Reserve 1 1/2 cups of cookie mixture. Press remaining cookie mixture into bottom of pan and bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle apple evenly over crust. In a small bowl, mix caramel topping and flour; spoon/pour over apples. To reserved cookie mixture, stir in pecans and sprinkle mixture over apples.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and then refrigerate several hours for easy cutting. When ready to cut lift parchment/foil by edges to remove from pan and cut into individual bars. Store in refrigerator using parchment to keep bar layers separated. For a decadent treat, microwave bars for a few seconds and top with vanilla ice cream!

You can find a printable recipe, here.

You find a recipe to make your own easy Apple Cider Caramel Sauce, here.

Easy and oh so good, use fresh-pressed cider for maximum apple flavor!

Apple Cider Caramel Sauce

Or bookmark or pin for apple season, you won’t be disappointed in the flavor of your own easy-to-make caramel sauce!

You can find more apple recipes and inspiration from

The Novel Bakers on Pinterest, here.

Easy Caramel Apple Bars8

Thank you for your visit, I’m joining:

Metamorphosis MondayThe Scoop,

Inspire Me TuesdayWow Us Wednesdays,

Home Sweet Home,

Tablescape ThursdayFoodie Friday

37 comments for “Easy Caramel Apple Bars!

1. Lynn@Happier Than A Pig In Mud
    September 3, 2014 at 5:19 am

And here I sit with a nice strong cup of coffee and nothing to nibble on… The bars sound great Mary, I’m really beginning to crave apple and pumpkin:@)

2. Linda Urell
    September 3, 2014 at 7:18 am

Looks scrumptious!

3. September 3, 2014 at 7:33 am

It looks like you and Betty have produced a winner of a recipe for Fall baking, Mary! I’ll be sure to try these out, but wish I had one for breakfast this morning. Thanks for sharing the apple-y goodness!

4. September 3, 2014 at 8:07 am

I don’t know whether to thank you or not Mary, these caramel morsels look awfully tempting! I haven’t seen Smuckers salted caramel sauce, oh my! What a perfect autumn treat, and so easy too! I will have to look at my pans, 11×7 isn’t something that rings a bell, but I do appreciate the tip… I think 9 x 13 is way too big for a lot of recipes. I think this must be a healthy recipe being full of apples and oatmeal, right? :)

5. Karen
    September 3, 2014 at 8:40 am

Those look Soooooo good! I think I’ll make them today – thanks for sharing.

6. Barb Diffenderfer
    September 3, 2014 at 10:03 am

They just look wonderful! Thank You for another easy recipe for fall. PLEASE tell me about your Johnson Bro. dishes. I found a tea cup while second hand shopping (I look everywhere, anywhere and always!) I wanted to collect this pattern for my fall table, but I need to keep looking! I LOVE THESE DISHES, they are soooooo neat! I have collected old turkeys for years, and found new Johnson Bro. turkey plates at T.J.Max. I really NEED old turkey plates( I know, I’m nut’s!) Thank’s Mary

• September 3, 2014 at 11:11 am

Thanks Barb, The Johnson Brothers Fruit Sampler pieces came from a consignment shop. I only have a handful of pieces. You a find some on Etsy here, or more on eBay. Happy dish shopping :)

7. September 3, 2014 at 10:48 am

Oh my, these are right up my alley, I love anything with apples especially in the Fall! If I had seen this yesterday I would have made these for the pool party I am going to in awhile. YUMMMMM! Thanks, Mary. Once again, beautiful presentation!

8. September 3, 2014 at 11:25 am

Be still my ♥♥♥! These look positively DIVINE!
    Thanks for sharing your experiments with the pan sizes…very helpful information.
    I WILL be making these for sure, as soon as I have some company to share them with. Otherwise, I’ll eat the whole pan myself.

9. Susan
    September 3, 2014 at 11:31 am

Oh, Mary!! I can’t wait to make these this weekend!! We’ll love them!! Thank you so much for all the wonderful recipes, ideas and tablescapes you share so unselfishly with us. I love, love, love your blog!!

10. Annie
    September 3, 2014 at 10:37 pm

These should be illegal – they look so divine! Beautiful…A

11. September 4, 2014 at 10:34 am

Mary, this is my kind of recipe. I call it Dr. The Box! These semi homemade caramel apple bars look scrumptious! I’ll be making these for sure!!!

12. September 4, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try this.

13. paula
    September 4, 2014 at 8:23 pm

~Mary~
    These are screaming FALL for sure !! I will be making these for our get together :)
    Paula
    IN

14. September 5, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Oh my goodness…these looks awesome and just in time for Fall….love the easiness of this recipe!…pinning away!!!

15. franki
    September 5, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Soon to be favorite!! franki

16. September 8, 2014 at 9:47 am

these look so good, and i LOVE your collage showing exactly how to pull it off :-) i was missing apple week this year, this is a sure fire hit for the wee cravings i tend to get hourly…

damn now i want chocolate AND caramel :-(

17. September 8, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Oh my goodness. Your caramel apple bars look so tempting.

Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

18. Kim
    September 9, 2014 at 2:05 pm

These look amazing! :-)

19. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life
    September 9, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Oh yum, this looks delicious. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

20. September 10, 2014 at 10:44 am

I may have to make these! They look Fantastic!

21. September 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I will feature these tomorrow they look so good!

22. Janis
    September 13, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Made today! Very yummy!!!

23. Kay
    October 1, 2014 at 10:31 am

Made these yesterday for a small party, and oh my gosh, they were met with raves from all who tried them…including my sugar-avoiding husband who must have said 3 or 4 times, how delicious they were! I will definitely make these again. Thanks for sharing!

• October 1, 2014 at 10:33 am

So glad they were a hit Kay! My hubby loves them too :)

24. October 3, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I am running to the store to pick up these ingredients Mary! Seems easy and looks great!! Hugs to you, Chloe and Gracie!!

25. Cindy
    October 10, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I made these today for a quick Friday afternoon treat and that they were!! So very delicious!!
    My family LOVED them! I would never hesitate to try anything you recommend !!

26. October 14, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I made these for a co-workers birthday and they were a HIT! They are so easy to make and so very delicious! Its a perfect fall treat that is not pumpkin! Thank you for sharing!

27. Karen
    November 16, 2014 at 2:56 pm

They are in the oven as I write this.. I had all the ingredients on hand! Can’t wait to taste them. Karen

28. Kathy g
    September 25, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Hi Mary,
    Revisiting your fall recipes again this year, there is so much to enjoy on your blog it is a pleasure to be able to take it all in. Just want to thank you for this recipe, I have made it several times and it is delicious. It is quick for a moments notice and all the ingredients taste and look so wonderful together.

Hope you are enjoying this beautiful warm fall weather. We are usually wearing a sweater by now but it was 90 degrees today, here in ski country, Utah Kathy g

• September 26, 2015 at 7:31 am

Thank you for your sweet comments and visits Kathy! I’m so glad you enjoyed the bars, my hubby was just asking when I was going to make a batch :)

29. November 16, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Made these for a Sunday afternoon Bunco party. I used snickerdoodle cookie mix and they were a hit! thank you.

30. Joyce
    October 6, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I’ve made these quite a few times now, excellent & very easy! It’s a keeper :)

Thank you for your comments~ they make my day ♥

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w