Cinnamon-Sugar Puff Pastry Turkeys

Celebrate Thanksgiving with Cinnamon-Sugar Puff Pastry Turkeys! These classic palmier cookies are easy to gobble, with light, flaky layers of pastry that have an irresistibly sweet cinnamon-sugar crunch!

If you’re a regular visitor here, you know I love playing with my food, so I couldn’t wait to make these adorable gobblers!  I adapted this recipe from one I found in this month’s Martha Stewart Living Magazine. There’s a bit of a learning curve stacking the layers of puff pastry so the ‘tail feathers’ come together, so you may want an extra sheet or two of puff pastry on hand to play with. No matter how these gobblers look, the results are delicious! You can make them ahead 3 – 4 days in advance before serving, storing them in an airtight container.

Cinnamon-Sugar Puff Pastry Turkeys

adapted Martha Stewart Living

Makes About 12

Ingredients

1 box frozen puff pastry, thawed (I used Pepperidge Farm)

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions:

Thaw puff pastry according to package directions. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle half of mixture on work surface. Unfold 1 sheet pastry over sugar mixture; sprinkle with 2 more tablespoons of sugar mixture. Roll pastry out to approximately 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Cut a 3-inch strip from short end.

Fold long ends of larger rectangle in to meet in center. Then fold in half so short ends meet.

Fold reserved strip of dough in half so short ends meet; place on bottom half of larger piece, with folds facing same direction. Fold top half over smaller piece of dough to cover. Gently roll over dough to seal. Freeze until firm but still pliable, about 30 minutes.

Repeat steps with second sheet of puff pastry.

Slice into 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Dip cut sides in remaining sugar mixture. Transfer to parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet with cut side up, about 3 inches apart to allow for spreading.

Bake 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake another 8 – 10 minutes or until golden.

Let cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack with a spatula. Let cool completely before decorating.

Note: If the turkey feathers separate too much during first half of baking time, press on sides to close with spatula or fingers to help reshape them, then continue to bake.

Now comes the fun part! I used the same method to decorate the turkeys as with my Nutter Butter Turkey Cupcakes.

To assemble the turkey faces you’ll need:

Strawberry Twizzlers, or red licorice

1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar

Wilton edible candy eyes (Target)

Orange candy-coated sunflower seeds (left from Halloween, found at HomeGoods)

Wilton Food Safe Brushes, available where cake decorating supplies are sold (Michaels)

In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 – 3 teaspoons of water, until you have the right consistency to make a “glue” to apply the candy features to turkeys. Use kitchen shears to cut licorice into small wattle-shaped pieces. Position features of turkey, then using a food safe brush, apply sugar mixture to back of the candy to “glue” to turkey.

Update: If you can’t find any orange candy coated sunflowers, substitute candy corn for the beak instead.

Allow about 30 minutes for candy to set. Store turkeys in airtight container until ready to serve.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

DSC_2535.1-002

Gobble Gobble Y’all!

🦃🦃🦃

Wishing You A Happy Thanksgiving With All The Turkey(s) You Can Gobble!

Thank you for your visit, sharing with:

Between Naps on the Porch,
StoneGableConfessions of a Plate Addict, Worthing Court, Cedar Hill Farmhouse,
Savvy Southern Style

21 comments for “Cinnamon-Sugar Puff Pastry Turkeys

1. Mary Michelle
    November 19, 2018 at 6:42 am

So cute and I bet they are tasty too!

2. November 19, 2018 at 6:45 am

Mary, Your gobblers are too cute to eat! Adorable, Happy Thanksgiving!

3. Karenann S.
    November 19, 2018 at 7:21 am

Your puff pastry turkeys are just so adorable!

4. Sharon
    November 19, 2018 at 8:03 am

Mary, you are so creative! These are adorable turkeys! Makes me want to come to your house for Thanksgiving, ha. 😉 🦃 Happy Thanksgiving!

5. November 19, 2018 at 8:23 am

How cute are these!!! Gobble Gobble Mary!

6. Donna
    November 19, 2018 at 8:23 am

You did it again. . . . .love it but for now, I will just put it on my “sometime” list. So very cute and you actually did it, not jut read the magazine.

7. Theresa Keller
    November 19, 2018 at 8:24 am

too cute! thank you for Monday morning smiles…. :)

8. November 19, 2018 at 8:42 am

I’d sure love to gobble those cute turkeys up, Mary! You know that Cissy and I love to play with our food, too. We’d have fun making these sweet treats.

9. Gale
    November 19, 2018 at 8:42 am

Mary,
    This past summer I made the Parmesan Crab-Cake Bites found in your archive!
    Huge hit!!!!
    I was wondering if I could make ahead and freeze. Any idea?
    Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Gale

• November 19, 2018 at 8:47 am

Hi Gale, Thanks for letting me know! I’m not sure but my feeling is the Parmesan Panko Crust would just crumble and fall apart. You could always experiment and maybe freeze them in your muffin tin after baking. Let me know if it works. Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

November 19, 2018 at 9:28 am

These sound wonderful to have with a nice cup of hot tea this morning. They’re too cute! I love the cinnamon -sugar mixture, a favorite of mine on toast. Happy Thanksgiving Mary to you and your entire family! 🦃

11. November 19, 2018 at 10:07 am

Oh these are tooo cute! Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

12. November 19, 2018 at 11:00 am

These are adorable! Pinning for next year.

13. November 19, 2018 at 11:05 am

Mary, these look as cute as I know they are tasty. I admire your enthusiasm and energy for making and creating. You seem to always find fun things to share from the kitchen as well as on the table. Hope your Thanksgiving is full of sweet pleasures.

14. November 19, 2018 at 1:35 pm

You are a culinary genius!….How fortunate your guests will be to enjoy your beautiful creations and dishes!…Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

15. Peyton
    November 19, 2018 at 3:29 pm

I saw these in my MSL and got confused reading the instructions, so ‘I’m thankful’ that you posted a visual.
    Perfect for the children’s table, and easy.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours…

16. November 19, 2018 at 5:36 pm

They turned out great Mary! I’d ~gobble~ one up any time:@)

17. November 19, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Honestly, these are adorable Mary. You have outdone even YOUR self…lol. I’m so happy to be able to comment again–as I’ve been glitched for about six weeks, I’ve every one of your posts, thank you so much for your appreciation of beauty, vintage, and nature. Happy Thanksgiving.

18. Jo
    November 19, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Such a cute idea, brought a smile to my face. Will definitely try this Thanksgiving treat!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you!

19. Virginia
    November 19, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Those are so cool. I am just amazed at how you come up with such imaginative ideas Have a very Happy Thanksgiving. 🦃🍁

20. November 21, 2018 at 7:38 am

Mary, these are so cute and I am sure very tasty! Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you for your comments~ they make my day ♥

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )