Keep Calm and Gobble On: Nutter Butter Turkey Cupcakes!

Nutter Butter Turkey Cupcakes

I saw these cute Nutter Butter Turkey Cupcakes on the cover of Family Circle Magazine!

These little gobblers are fun to make with Thanksgiving on the way! I had some left over candy corn and Wilton Candy Eyes in my Halloween stash, along with orange chocolate covered sunflower seeds that I used to make my Happy Owl-oween Cookies.

The turkey faces take a little time assembling but go pretty fast once you gather your supplies together.

Use the cupcake recipe of your choice. I used the cake mix and soda can method for quick and easy cupcakes! It’s ideal when you’re in a hurry (or running low on eggs) and requires only two ingredients~ a 12 ounce can of soda and a boxed cake mix. The possibilities are endless for your cake and soda combinations. I used a spice cake mix and a can of ginger ale for these gobblers for a little Thanksgiving spice flavor. Follow the directions on the box mix for baking and they test done with a toothpick. My cupcakes baked in about 12 minutes. Allow them to cool completely on a wire rack before adding the frosting of your choice.

To assemble the turkey faces you’ll need:

Strawberry Twizzlers, or red licorice

½ cup confectioners’ sugar

Wilton edible candy eyes (I found mine at Target)

Orange candy-coated sunflower seeds (I found mine at HomeGoods)

Candy corn (6 – 8 per cupcake)

Wilton Food Safe Brushes, available where cake decorating supplies are sold (I found mine at Michaels)

In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 – 3 teaspoons of water, until you have the right consistency to make a “glue” to apply the candy features to the Nutter Butter cookies. I used a food safe brush (Wilton) to brush on sugar mixture to attach the candy. With kitchen shears, cut Twizzlers into small wattle shaped pieces.

Use candy corn to make the tail feathers, 6 – 8 pieces per cupcake. Here’s a cautionary tail :) -> don’t add them until right before serving since the candy corn will begin to dissolve in the frosting and your turkey will lose his tail feathers prematurely!

Allow the faces to set up after the candy features are “glued” in place. I assembled mine and checked on them in 30 minutes and they were ready to go. I made a small slit in the top of the frosted cupcake with a knife before pushing the turkey/ Nutter Butter cookie down in the cupcake. The recipe in the magazine called for baking jumbo size cupcakes, but I baked regular size cupcakes and filled my cupcakes liners with a little extra batter, so the cupcakes would bake a little taller and there would be more cake to hold the cookie in place. It also called for cutting part of the bottom of the cookie off before adding it to the cupcake but I used the whole cookie. You can find printable directions, here.

It’s hard to believe Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away and then the mayhem of the Christmas season will begin!

Until then, Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Keep Calm and Gobble On: Turkey Cupcakes!

Thank you for your visit, I’m joining:

Metamorphosis Monday,

The Scoop,  Inspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us Wednesdays,  Feathered Nest Friday

Foodie Friday and Everything Else Link Party

35 comments for “Keep Calm and Gobble On: Nutter Butter Turkey Cupcakes!

1. November 13, 2015 at 7:43 am

so adorable!

2. Michelle
    November 13, 2015 at 7:47 am

How festive! So cute! Thanks for sharing.🦃🌴☀️

3. November 13, 2015 at 7:54 am

These little turkey cupcakes are too cute for words, Mary! Big and little gobblers would have fun putting these together. Thanks for your tips and easy cake 2-ingredient cake recipe!
    Happy weekend to you!

4. November 13, 2015 at 8:57 am

So adorable, Mary! I think even my grown up little turkeys would enjoy assembling and gobbling one of these during Thanksgiving weekend. I hope you have a great weekend. Linda

5. November 13, 2015 at 9:16 am

A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E…and so easy, too! Ms. C. is coming to spend the day & I hope she’ll want to help make these with me. Too cute! Thanks for sharing the idea & directions, Mary.

p.s. My RED goblets arrived last night….GORGEOUS!! Can’t to use them on Christmas Eve.
    Pfaltzgraff owes you a commission on all the stuff I’ve bought from them, after seeing you arrange it.

6. Karen
    November 13, 2015 at 9:39 am

These are just too cute! Also grateful for the 2 ingredient cupcake recipe.

7. November 13, 2015 at 11:33 am

going to try these with the Grand this weekend…they are just too cute! Sandi

8. November 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm

These are so stinking cute

9. Ellen Stillabower
    November 13, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Sooo cute!! I bet we could GOBBLE them up pretty quick!!! 🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃

10. scrappymo
    November 13, 2015 at 1:43 pm

These are so very cute! Thanks for sharing how you assembled them.
    I always enjoy your posts…

11. Jan M.
    November 13, 2015 at 2:09 pm

The grandkids will LOVE these! Question: Do you have a source for cupcake liners that do not absorb the oil in the batter? The colors of my liners always become muted and muddy looking. Or are there any tricks? Thanks!

• November 13, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Hi Jan, Just search online (like at Amazon) for greaseproof cupcake liners. I buy liners from Michaels or Hobby Lobby by pattern and they’re not all greaseproof. If the colors muddy after baking, you can pop a fresh cupcake fresh liner on top of the baked one. Also, the two-ingredient cake mix/soda recipe doesn’t have any additional oil :)

• Jan M.
        November 14, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Mary, for taking the time to answer me during this busy time of the year! Yes, I already had done a search and came up with mostly solid color liners. Tried putting fresh liners on the outside and they stood away too much from the cupcake. My next tactic is to bake with doubled liners! Yes, I tend to be perfectionistic ;-))

12. November 13, 2015 at 4:56 pm

These are so cute!

13. November 13, 2015 at 5:44 pm

These are way too cute!!! Have a great weekend Mary!

14. November 13, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Ha, they’re great! Every once in a while an eye is in just the right position to make me laugh:@)

15. Paula
    November 13, 2015 at 9:40 pm

~Mary~

so cute !

Paula

16. Cynthia Raines
    November 14, 2015 at 12:07 am

Love it. Too cute!

17. November 14, 2015 at 9:03 am

Gobble Gobble Mary! How cute and delicious too! Love the tip about the cupcake papers, I didn’t know you could buy grease-proof liners~ but I have been using your trick of using 2 papers and the inside out presentation, making everything look so pretty! I might cheat a little and buy some cupcakes already made and add the “turkey” for my little gobblers :)

18. rattlebridge
    November 14, 2015 at 4:42 pm

So adorable and gobble-licious. Love your clever use of the red Twizzlers!

19. November 15, 2015 at 2:51 pm

very cute, those googly eyes are such smile makers!

20. Cookie
    November 19, 2015 at 10:27 am

I made your acorns yesterday for my craft club. The girls loved them they thought they were so cute. My hubby took them to coffee this morning and the guys also loved them. Thanks for the ideas…Keep them coming..Now I need some cute ideas for Florida for Xmas… LOVE your blog COOKIE

21. Marisa L
    November 26, 2015 at 3:17 am

Thanks for testing out this Family Circle recipe and giving out some tips! I’m curious to know how long the confectioners sugar/water “glue” will hold the eyes, gobble, etc., to the turkey face. Will it stick pretty well or is there any chance they’ll fall off? (You can tell I’m worrying about this at the last minute!)

• November 26, 2015 at 9:04 am

Sticks great, no worrries! :)

22. Camille morgan
    October 28, 2017 at 1:01 pm

I hope to make these for my garden club dessert. I love everything you do. Thank you for sharing.

• October 28, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Thanks so much Camille! I hope they’re as much fun to make as they are to eat! Just remember not to add the candy corn too early when assembling 🦃😀🍁

23. November 6, 2017 at 3:51 pm

I think my grandchildren will enjoy doing these cupcakes. Thanks for the idea!