The Life of the Party: Marinated Shrimp and Artichokes

Marinated Shrimp-and-Artichokes is a go to recipe for me and one of Southern Living Magazine’s best recipes of 2011. Quick and make-ahead, 8 to 24 hours in advance, it can also double as a side dish. It’s good anytime of year, but perfect for the busy holiday season!

You can throw this appetizer together in 15 minutes if you start with cooked shrimp. I roast mine in the oven for extra flavor using Ina’s method and the shrimp is ready in 8 – 10 minutes.

I doubled the recipe for a party which is just the right amount to fill a trifle bowl.

Marinated Shrimp-and-Artichokes,

recipe courtesy Southern Living

Yield: Makes 8 servings

Hands on time 15 minutes, marinating time *8 – 24 hours

*I prefer it at 8 – 12 hours

Ingredients

1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 (0.75-oz.) envelope garlic-and-herb dressing mix (I substitute Italian dressing mix so it’s less garlicky)

1 pound peeled and deveined, large cooked shrimp (2 1/30 count)

1 (14-oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half

1 (6-oz.) can large black olives, drained

1 cup halved grape tomatoes

1 (4-oz.) package feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I used crumbled feta since my grocery store was out of block feta )

Small fresh basil leaves, garnish (I omitted since I didn’t have)

Preparation

1. Whisk together balsamic vinegar and next 4 ingredients in a bowl. Stir in shrimp and next 4 ingredients. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.

2. Stir in desired amount of basil just before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon.

I’ve taken this appetizer to a Christmas party several times and it tastes just as good out of a plastic cup and it does served in a martini glass  :)

Christmas Party Appetizers

You can sample more make-ahead party appetizers here.

and find a printable version of this recipe here.

Marinated Shrimp & Artichokes

Metamorphosis Monday,

The Scoop,  Inspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us Wednesdays,  Foodie Friday

29 comments for “The Life of the Party: Marinated Shrimp and Artichokes

1. December 18, 2013 at 7:12 am

What a great appetizer ! Different from a boring shrimp cocktail . It looks festive and appetizing ! Yum!

2. Sandra Garth
    December 18, 2013 at 7:37 am

Love your presentation!

3. December 18, 2013 at 7:47 am

What a perfect dish for holiday entertaining, Mary. I use Ina’s method of roasting the shrimp, too. You’ve styled and served it so perfectly. Thanks for the idea. xo

4. December 18, 2013 at 8:43 am

Mary, I remember seeing this recipe in Southern Living and thinking that I needed to try it. I always make marinated shrimp for the holidays, but I put button mushrooms in it instead of the artichokes. But this year I may adapt my recipe to incorporate some of the ingredients that you put in yours! And I’m going to copy your idea of using the plastic cups to serve it in! :)

5. December 18, 2013 at 8:46 am

This dish is perfect for the holidays. I haven’t done this version but only marinated shrimp and vidalia onion slices. The other ingredients add color and more flavor. This is the kind of dish that is liked so much the dish is always empty. Your presentation is so pretty.

6. Sybil phillips
    December 18, 2013 at 8:55 am

I have the cookbook with this recipe. I make Hidden Treasure which is the shrimp, artichokes, grape tomatoes, black olives, and mushrooms. Can add water chestnuts. The sauce is Hellmann’s mayo, horseradish, dry mustard, lemon juice and salt. There is never any left.

7. December 18, 2013 at 8:55 am

Hi Mary, This looks and sounds delicious!! I always use the Ina method for shrimp, too. It’s so easy! :) I’m going to make this for our Christmas evening dinner which is always a collection of appetizers. I think everyone will love it. Linda

8. December 18, 2013 at 9:46 am

Looks beautiful and tasty! 8-10 minutes seems like a long time to bake pre-cooked shrimp but I must be wrong about that?

• December 18, 2013 at 10:17 am

I use Ina’s method to cook raw shrimp 8 – 10 minutes. No need to cook pre-cooked shrimp :)

• November 30, 2015 at 1:10 pm

What is Ina’s method?

• November 30, 2015 at 1:15 pm

The link is there highlighted for you.

9. December 18, 2013 at 10:41 am

Tantalizing to say the least! I’m going to suggest this to my DD for her Christmas Day buffet. It looks & sounds luscious…thanks Mary!!
    Spectacular photos, as always.

10. December 18, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Yummilicious, Mary! And the potting shed is amazing!!

Merry Christmas!

11. December 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm

This looks and sounds fabulous. Love your dishes too. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Cynthia

12. December 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm

i would love this dish, all the california flavors rolled into one delish bite! so cute and festive, as always… dang you made me hungry now too, i love shrimp!

13. franki
    December 18, 2013 at 7:07 pm

You just find THE BEST recipes!! I’ve GOT to try this!! Thanks, AGAIN! franki

14. December 18, 2013 at 9:22 pm

So gorgeous in that red swirled martini glass…It’s a little sophisticated for my Christmas Eve guests but I am having a little soiree in Feb that this would be perfect for! I have read about Ina’s roasted shrimp, I know this recipe must be divine~

15. December 19, 2013 at 3:47 am

What a great Christmas Appetizer!! Think I will have to try this! Sounds and looks very good!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family Mary! Hugs to the girls! Jeanne, Chloe and LadyBug

16. December 19, 2013 at 8:09 am

Looks yummy… Perfect for Christmas…

17. December 20, 2013 at 11:47 am

This sounds fabulous and yes it would be a great for Christmas Eve but I am thinking I would eat this anytime! Stopping by from Foodie Friday.

18. December 22, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Mmm! Such an amazingly delicious combo! I think I would try this with squid and scallops too! :)

19. December 23, 2013 at 10:02 am

Yum! This is something that our family would love. I like Ina’s way of roasting chicken breasts, so I’ll try doing the shrimp her way, too. Thanks for the recipe. Gosh, I could do with a serving…or two of this right now.

20. diane
    December 26, 2013 at 7:53 am

Our group, with roots from the Bronx to the Midwest, to Seattle, to Russia and Panama, all agreed that this was the best! “Can we make it again tomorrow?” was the question from the 13-year-old picky eater. High praise, indeed.

21. May 17, 2015 at 8:23 pm

I just signed up for e-mails and already I’m in love with your table decor! The flowers and patterns, country & elegant at the same time. Keep up the good work, can’t wait to try the shrimp-and-artichokes salad this weekend for Memorial Day.
    A treat for our guests.

22. Mikki
    December 15, 2017 at 10:09 am

I remember reading that someone tried a ranch dressing packet for the marinade but I can’t locate that idea again. any thoughts about that?

Comments are closed.