Mini Pumpkin Pies and a Blooming Can

Mini Pumpkin Pies are portion control bites~

Quick & Easy to make with a package of refrigerated pie crusts!

You need a 4-inch round cookie cutter (or bowl as a template) and a muffin tin. One box of 2 pie crusts gives you enough dough for 12 mini pies with pastry leaves (rerolling the scraps).

My fall piecrust cutters came from Williams-Sonoma, I have a couple of different sets.

Spray your muffin tin with cooking spray then place your circles of dough in and fill to the top with your pie filling.

I used the recipe on the back of the can~ the same recipe you can find on the back of McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice, adjusting the baking time for mini pies.

(I substituted Pumpkin Pie spice for the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves).

Ingredients

1 package refrigerated pie crusts

1 can (15 oz) pumpkin

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk

2 eggs

1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Mix pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl until smooth. Pour into pastry lined muffin cups to the top. Top with a pastry leaf if desired.

Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake 20 – 25 minutes longer or until knife inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool 30 minutes in pan and remove to wire rack to cool for another  hour for pumpkin filling to set completely.

I did have a little more filling than would fill the 12 muffin cups, so I baked the remaining filling in a ramekin and topped with a few pastry leaves.

These mini pies are fun to serve for Thanksgiving

with an assortment of desserts~

You don’t need a fluted edge cookie cutter for these mini pies~ round will do, but I have a graduated set of fluted cutters I got from World Market a couple of years ago.

You can find a similar set from World Market,

here, that’s better since they’re reversible!

Confession time:

I bought this canned pumpkin

for the label rather

than for its organic properties :)

Since I loved the label on the can,

I used it as vase rather

than tossing it in the recycling bin~

I used floral picks to support

the munchkin pumpkins~

The pumpkins in the can

help support the flowers~

I added some sunflowers from the grocery store, clipped some shrubs and mums from pots and added some leaves~

Easy as Pie!

You can find a printable recipe, here.

dsc_0306-003

Thank you for your visit, I’m joining:

Metamorphosis MondayThe Scoop,

Inspire Me TuesdayWow Us Wednesdays

Home Sweet HomeFoodie Friday

61 comments for “Mini Pumpkin Pies and a Blooming Can

1. Marie
    November 10, 2012 at 8:23 am

Those pies look delightful and what a cute can indeed. Love the arrangement. I love that those little things in life can make me smile. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend.

Marie

2. November 10, 2012 at 9:37 am

What sweet little pumpkin pies! I love this idea – it reminds me of pecan tarts. I wish I had a set of those cutters. Here I have about 5000 cutters and not one leaf in the group! I am going to try these. LOVE your flower can. xo Diana

3. November 10, 2012 at 10:07 am

Your mini pies are adorable, and I love your blooming can, too! :D Your bog is always so pretty and inspiring, Mary.

xo,
    RJ

4. November 10, 2012 at 10:44 am

What a great post. Just found your blog recently and loved it so much I put it on my blogroll! Love your honesty about the pumpkin can. I have been known to buy a book for its cover! Have a great weekend!

5. anon
    November 10, 2012 at 10:54 am

so cute, i have made different versions of this with puff pastry, but today this looks so perfect for a picnic. your pics are stunning as always~

6. handgrs
    November 10, 2012 at 11:05 am

Ack! You are so smart! This is a great idea. Definitely pinning it to my Fall/Thanksgiving board.

7. November 10, 2012 at 11:14 am

What a great solution for those who want a bite of this and a bite of that! Thanks for sharing and making my Saturday brighter.! xo marlis

8. November 10, 2012 at 11:52 am

Mary, I love the idea of mini pies. We have those cutters so will definitely use this idea. I use the cutout leaves on our large pies, but this will be something different. Add in mini pecan pies as well! Cute idea to use the tin from the pie filling. You are always so clever! Thanks for sharing your ideas. Have a great Thanksgiving along side your beautiful lake. ~ Sarah

9. momthegardener
    November 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I love the mini pumpkin pies. I’m going to have to finally get the WS fall pie crust cutters. What a great idea to use the can for your flower arrangement. Your creativity is endless. Now I’m going to have to pay attention to what the label looks like on cans! ~ Pam

10. November 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm

What a lovely idea! I used to have a set of 3 fall cutters in pumpkin, turkey and leaf shapes. I liked cutting puff pastry (2 pieces per shape – reversing on of the shapes) and spreading a tiny bit of cranberry jelly in the middle – wet the edges and top with the second (reversed shape) to ‘glue’ them together – the little cranberry “puffs” were delicious and looked beautiful.

11. November 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I love the idea of making these mini pumpkin pies! I will have to see if I have a leaf or pumpkin shape in the vintage cutters that I have been accumulating this year.

12. November 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Mary these are darling and I have everything to do them. So much more fun than a big pie. With all my grands that come for Thanksgiving this would be perfect with little waste. Also I just happened to buy, yesterday, that very brand of pumpkin in those cans on sale. I’m just delighted with all your great ideas and will use them. It never occurred to me to use the can with the label but these are perfect. Now this makes me doubly happy that I bought them.

Nann

13. November 10, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Yahoo, I’m like Mary in that I often use attractive cans for flowers. Those and bottles are among my favorite vases. I went to a place today that you would have loved!

14. November 10, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Pumpkin pie is my favorite pie. It was all I wanted to eat after my recent surgery. Whilst most folks lose weight post op I do not. Your mini’s are charming and would not be safe with me. xo, olive

15. November 10, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I love your muffin-style pumpkin pies! What a great idea and even more crust to love :) I have those leaf cutters from WS so I’m good to go!

16. November 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Such appetizing mini pies. I love pumpkin made in any way. Attractive presentation and great tablecloth and flowers.

17. Debbie@Mountain Breaths
    November 10, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I almost threw my can away :-) Saved by your blog! The minis are adorable.

18. November 10, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Love the can/vase! Great to have Seasonal Sundays back up, running, and having you be part of it!

– The Tablescaper

19. November 10, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Oh Mary, those mini pies make a mighty statement!! They’re too cute for words! I have to make them.

20. November 11, 2012 at 1:12 am

The pies are so cute and that is the prettiest pumpkin label I have ever seen.

21. November 11, 2012 at 8:09 pm

What a cute idea, your mini pumpkin pies are adorable. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

22. November 11, 2012 at 7:55 pm

As sweet as sweet can be (no pun intended, really!!) Thanks for all the detailed instructions. I bet there will be many of these made this Thanksgiving! I completely understand why you bought the can–it’s beautiful, and perfect for the flowers! Great! ~Zuni

23. November 11, 2012 at 8:43 pm

These are sooooooo cute! Adorable display too. Lovely.

24. November 11, 2012 at 11:00 pm

LOVE these and your beautiful pictures! I just featured this on my “Best Of The Weekend” post. Hope you will stop by soon and I look forward to reading more of your posts! Thanks! – Claire

25. November 11, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Girl, you are SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! You never fail to amaze me. I am going to try these for our Thanksgiving. This is the FIRST year (in 45) that I am not hosting Thanksgiving!!!! We are going to our daughters!!! XO, Pinky

26. November 12, 2012 at 10:46 am

I love the mini pies and cannot wait to make some!

27. casteb
    November 12, 2012 at 10:59 am

Adorable and I love that they truly are portion-controlled, well, as long as you only eat one! I bought that same Organic Pumpkin, but I did buy it because it’s organic. However, now I know not to toss the can when empty — such a cute idea!

28. November 12, 2012 at 11:30 am

I agree! I thought that label was fake it was so pretty! If I could find it, I would buy it too and what a fun can to use after. I would much rather have these adorable mini pies than a slice of pie. What a fun idea to have all kinds of mini pies for Thanksgiving this year instead. You always inspire me.

29. November 12, 2012 at 11:33 am

Hello from your neighbor at Between Naps….. Those pies are adorable, and I’m starving. I love how you upcycled the can. Great job!!!

30. November 13, 2012 at 7:34 am

Just found out I am supposed to bring dessert for family Thanksgiving, something pumpkin…these will be perfect! Sounds easy too! Thanks for another great idea and recipe.

31. November 13, 2012 at 8:30 pm

These are just too cute to eat! I’m thinking I may make some of these for Thanksgiving! My family would be very impressed! :)

I’ll be showing these on my FB page and providing a link back to your post!

32. November 13, 2012 at 10:30 pm

OMG I saw the tiny little thumb nail of these pies on Savvy Southern Style and thought how cute! It figures when I clicked on it – it brought me to my favorite blogger!!

33. November 13, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Those pies are the cutest and the recipe sounds wonderful! I pinned this to share…I am sure you will get some new fans!

34. November 14, 2012 at 8:05 am

Could you make the pies the day before? Would you then refrigerate them? I am wondering as I always worry about making things the day before.

35. November 14, 2012 at 8:10 am

Yes to both! The day before is fine just refrigerate.

36. November 14, 2012 at 9:55 am

These little pies are the cutest!…I am cooking this year and I am going to do this … love this so much!!!

37. November 25, 2012 at 7:55 am

Just wanted to let you know that I made these for Thanksgiving. I made them the day before and refrigerated them. They were wonderful andf looked beautiful! I did not have your cookie cutters, but some similiar and I had to take a knife and draw in the stems on the leaves, but it was worth the trouble. Many thanks.

38. September 6, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I absolutely love these!

39. Patricia Howell
    October 1, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Can you tell me if these pies can be made ahead, frozen & then baked? Thanks.

40. November 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

These are too darn cute, and look so much prettier than a whole pie — once it is cut, it looses all its charm!
    Thanks for sharing and i love that can label too…. I am such an impulse buying when it comes to clever packaging! It’s all about the presentation, right!?
    xx
    A

41. November 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

Oops. Typo. Impulse BUYER! is what I meant to say!

42. Katy
    November 16, 2013 at 11:16 am

These look wonderful! Did you use the standard size (12) muffin tin or the mini size muffin tin?

43. November 16, 2013 at 11:24 am

Standard, with 4 inch cookie cutter for pastry :)

44. November 18, 2013 at 7:53 am

I LOVE these little pies! And that centerpiece with the pumpkin can? SO cute! :)
    Thank you for sharing at this week’s Marvelous Mondays party!
    Pinned & sharing.

45. Hannah
    November 18, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I was wondering if these froze well or if its an eat it or toss it kind of recipe?

46. November 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I’ve never frozen them but since they’re pumpkin pies in miniature form, you could :)

47. November 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Good to see someone else putting those beautiful Williams & Sonoma cookie cutters to great use! I made my banana pumpkin pies for a farmers market and used the same cute cutters to adorn my Blissful Banana Pumpkin Mini Pies!

48. November 29, 2013 at 11:37 am

These are so adorable! Thanks for posting this-made them yesterday with the kiddos and we had such a fun time. Off to check out your post on flavored Bourbons…

49. October 23, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Hi. We looooove your mini pumpkin pies. We love how they are so adorable and easy to make. We would like to feature this recipe in your holiday edition of our online magazine, Ruby for Women, A Voice for Every Christian Woman. We would also like to feature it on our Ruby for Women Blog. Would that be okay with you?
    Please respond to karen@rubyforwomen.com

50. October 23, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Hi, yes that would be fine as long as the watermark is not cropped out of the photo and with a link back :)

51. Lee
    October 26, 2014 at 4:55 am

I have that same can of pumpkin in my pantry. I thought it was so cute when I saw it at the store. But, I never thought of using it as a vase. Great idea. Thanks!!!!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,422 other followers