Layered Spring Salad for Easter

Layered Spring Salad

I have a Layered Spring Salad to serve alongside your ham for your Easter menu and or for your next family gathering, potluck, or barbecue!

Seven-layer salads were popular in the South in the 70s and 80s at potlucks and church socials and have recently started to make a comeback. The best part about this type of salad is you can build the layers to suit your taste, assembling ahead of time, refrigerating 4 hours to overnight.

The dressing layer goes on top of the salad to help seal the ingredients and keep them fresh. I chose to layer the cheese and bacon on top of the dressing since I think it’s prettier that way, but adjust and build the layers and ingredients to suit your taste!

To dress it up for Easter or spring, I used some cute cookie or pie crust stamps. I have several sets of these for the seasons, used to decorated hand pies/empanadas, a Pumpkin Cheese Ball and Pumpkin-Pecan Streusel Pie. I picked this set up at Walmart a couple of weeks ago for less than $3.00.

I attempted to use them on slices of cheddar cheese, but the cheddar was too hard for the cutters to stamp an impression. I ended up with American cheese which was soft enough for the details to show and placed the bunnies, chicks and eggs around the bottom of the trifle bowl next to the layer of lettuce.

This of course is totally optional, like wearing your Easter bonnet to the sunrise service :)

Some of the traditional ingredients that make up a seven-layer salad are lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, sweet peas, hard-boiled eggs, sharp cheddar cheese, and bacon.  I used romaine, sliced radishes, matchstick carrots, chopped eggs, peas (frozen, partially thawed), grape tomatoes and a layer of cheddar and bacon on top of the dressing layer. Assemble in a clear glass bowl or trifle bowl so you can see the colorful layers, placing your ingredients along the perimeter of your bowl. Start by placing your ingredients along the outside first and if find yourself running short on ingredients for a layer, you can add more lettuce in the middle of your salad.

The traditional dressing for a seven-layered salad is a combination equal parts sour cream and mayonnaise mixed with a tablespoon or two of sugar to taste. I used 1/2 cup each of light sour cream and mayonnaise. You can add some herbs or seasoning to dressing if you like, or substitute your favorite dressing. A buttermilk ranch dressing is good this layered salad too, make sure it’s thick and creamy!

Let everyone help themselves, scooping through the layers of the salad or toss the salad before serving.

Wishing you a Happy Easter!

Layered Spring Salad

Thank you for your visit, I’m joining:

Metamorphosis Monday,

The ScoopWow Us Wednesdays,

Foodie Friday and Everything Else Link Party

27 comments for “Layered Spring Salad for Easter

1. Annie
    March 25, 2016 at 8:18 am

Perfect!

2. March 25, 2016 at 8:36 am

I love this salad and could eat it right now. Haven’t had in ages. My mother in law used to make it. I love how you made the sweet little cheese critters to make it even more special and Springy and Eastery!

3. March 25, 2016 at 8:36 am

Only YOU would think of cutting the cheese (pun intended) in such a darling way!! Mary, you’re killing me with ideas!

I’ve made & eaten this salad many a time when I lived down south. Unfortunately, nobody in my family up here would eat it. Perhaps I’ll make it for my quilting group sometime. Yours looks sooo lovely & fresh!!

4. March 25, 2016 at 8:45 am

Mary, It looks so crispy and yummy, even now at breakfast time! And the little bit of salty crunch from the bacon makes it even better. I have the perfect trifle dish for this so I think one will be found on my table sometime this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration and Happy Easter! Linda

5. Ellen Stillabower
    March 25, 2016 at 8:52 am

Haven’t seen or eaten 7 layer salad in many years. This gave me a new salad to serve at my May Crowning. Love the cut outs..so cute!! Again, thank you and HAPPY EASTER!!! 🐇💐👒🎩🐰🐥

6. Cynthia Raines
    March 25, 2016 at 8:53 am

Ohhh, SO cute!! Love the cheese cut outs!! We do 7 layer salads and will do for this for sure. Have a blessed and wonderful Easter!

7. Karen
    March 25, 2016 at 9:06 am

Forgot about this salad,thanks for the reminder! LOVE the cut out Easter animals-Perfect!🐰

8. March 25, 2016 at 9:17 am

I haven’t made this salad in years, Mary, and your addition of the stamped Easter shapes marching inside the bowl and on top, just put a smile on my face. The salad makes for a beautiful, colorful, and flavorful addition to any table. Thanks for the reminder and inspiration. Happy Easter!

9. March 25, 2016 at 9:30 am

A Deep South gal checking in…..so funny to hear that some in north wouldn’t eat this. Wha?????? It’s a perfect salad for a crowd and I bet every southern chick has had this on their table at every gathering! My dil’s ask for it constantly and are now making it themselves. Perfect make ahead.
    Yours is perfect and of course your signature creativity puts it over the top!!! I bet your hubby just grins at the things he finds in his dishes!!!
    Hoppy Easter!

10. Marty Larson
    March 25, 2016 at 9:36 am

I make this salad and take it to every potluck we attend. I never have leftovers! It is a huge hit in Western New York.
    I love the cookie cutter cheese decorations – that is a fabulous idea.

11. March 25, 2016 at 9:51 am

Adorable with the Easter cheese Mary, a very fun and new idea for the cookie cutters! Happy Easter to you and your family and give The Girls a piece of cheese for me:@)

12. March 25, 2016 at 9:53 am

This is one of my favorite salads…as you said, you can layer anything into it…not only makes a nice presentation, is delicious!
    Happy Easter, Mary.

13. March 25, 2016 at 10:10 am

You are amazing! Just when you think you’ve seen it all, you come up with Darling CHEESE cut-outs in a classic! Have a lovely Holiday with your family, Mary!! Thanks for all you do for us!! XX

14. Debbie
    March 25, 2016 at 10:38 am

Such a cute idea. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful and very HAPPY EASTER!!!

15. March 25, 2016 at 10:49 am

This looks so fresh and perfect for Spring. What’s more you could play with and swap out the salad ingredients to fit your individual preferences. I’m surprised I’ve never heard of this before, but I’m certainly glad I was able to see it on your blog :-)

16. March 25, 2016 at 11:47 am

This is always a family favorite at our summer gatherings. Your little cutouts make it so—Easter, grins, thanks for the idea, Sandi

17. Donna C
    March 25, 2016 at 11:49 am

This is one of my all time favorite salads. The cheese cut-outs are brilliant. You always know the perfect way to present a dish. Thanks, Mary. Have a great day!

18. franki
    March 25, 2016 at 11:52 am

Wow…that brings back memories…we used to make this ALL the time…need to resurrect!! franki

19. Judy North
    March 25, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Oh my goodness.. does this ever bring back some delicious memories! What an adorable idea with the cookie cutters and the cheese… I shall be making this salad Very Soon! You are truly gifted and I am so enjoying your blog! Blessings on your Easter… Judy

20. Liz
    March 25, 2016 at 5:50 pm

You really are such an inspiration. Have a Happy Easter.

21. March 28, 2016 at 10:11 am

It seems like a lot of recipes are making their comeback, and this one is such a great do ahead dish. I LOVE your cheese decorations, Mary, such fabulous fun! Thanks for a great spring and summer meal idea, and I love the tip about adding more lettuce in the center to keep the layers looking full all around.

22. Regality (aka The Quing)
    March 29, 2016 at 11:11 am

That is my all-time favorite salad!

23. Connie
    March 29, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I love this salad and the Easter cheese cut outs make it look adorable for the grandkids. I have called the four Walmarts in my community and am not able to find the set of four stamps. I’ll keep looking. Thanks for the idea.

24. April 7, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Hi Mary,

This is so pretty, and I love when food looks pretty. :-D I had my first layered salad after we were married, and it was made by my mother-in-law. Yummm! I think serving it in a compote bowl is a great idea, and I need to try that. Your Easter cheese cutouts are adorable in and on top of the salad. Thanks for sharing with us; I’ll be pinning this. :)

Visiting from Rattlebridge Farm, Foodie Fridays party. Hope you have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Denise

25. April 6, 2017 at 1:10 pm

That salad looks so lovely and tasty, I am hoping to make this for my grandkids for Easter, thank you for the idea and instructions.