Witches’ Brew Stew

Witches’ Brew Stew, aka Chicken Soup, is a recipe that we enjoy and I’ve had bubbling in my cauldron before!

Like all witches, I have my own special potion for Witches’ Brew Stew~ adapted from Southern Living’s recipe.

Fire up your cauldron, or slow cooker!

No fussing or worrying about stirring in a clockwise direction until your brew starts to bubble, and then stirring counter-clockwise. . .

I found Fright Bites Tortilla Chips at World Market for a scarily good addition to accompany our bubbling stew~ along with this cast iron mini cauldron to serve it in.

Cauldron Ingredients

~1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded

~ 1 onion, chopped

~1 (10 oz.) package frozen corn (I used 3/4 package of Trader Joe’s fire-roasted corn, comes in a 16 oz. pkg)

~2 (15 oz.) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed, drained, and divided

~1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed, drained

~1 (28 oz.) can Ro*Tel Original, (turn up or down the heat on your potion with mild or hot)

~1 package taco seasoning (I used reduced sodium)

~1 (32 oz.) carton chicken stock (I used reduced sodium)

~2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

~1/2 cup milk

Preparation:

Add all ingredients into cauldron/slow cooker, reserving 1 can of Great Northern Beans, flour and milk.

Cook on low 6 – 8 hours.

Mash remaining can of beans in a small bowl.Whisk together flour and milk, and stir into beans. Add to slow cooker during last 2 hours of cooking time.

Add toppings to custom blend your brew. . .

Green Onion aka Scale of Dragon

Cilantro aka Toe of Frog

Jalapeños aka Eye of Newt

Cheddar Cheese aka Root of Hemlock

Sour Cream aka Maw of Shark

I highly recommend Wing of Bat Chips!

This stew is hearty, satisfying, and tasty~

especially after a long flight :)

You can enjoy of a different Witches’ Brew here.

Ravenous Witches might enjoy

Finger Sand-Witches,

recipe courtesy Pillsbury, here.

And a spellbinding read about a disturbing yet fascinating time period in American history~ the Salem Witch Trials.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane travels seamlessly between the witch trials in the 1690s and a modern woman’s story of mystery, intrigue and revelation.”

I hope this Brew makes you

Happier than a Witch

in a Broom Factory :)

Witches' Brew Stew and Finger Sand-Witches

Metamorphosis MondayThe ScoopInspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us WednesdaysTutorials Tips and Tidbits,

Foodie FridayHome Sweet Home,

Be Inspired FridaySeasonal Sundays

33 comments for “Witches’ Brew Stew

1. October 20, 2012 at 6:34 am

Mary, another post winner! Making a trip to World Market has been on my list for several weeks now and I just moved it up a notch — those chips are just the thing for Halloween treat with this delicious sounding stew. Chicken soup/stew is one of my favorites. Katherine Howe has a new book out, but I should start with Deliverance Dane first! Hugs–

2. October 20, 2012 at 8:20 am

Mary, This soup sound delicious… and your photography makes it even better! I’m putting this on this coming week’s menu. May I use one of your scrumptious pictures with a link back to this post?
    YUMMY!!!!

3. Darlene
    October 20, 2012 at 8:51 am

I love reading your blog..

4. October 20, 2012 at 9:02 am

You are feeling your oats today what with all your spooky menu items. Don’t Rotel tomatoes add that something special to soup? Today is rainy and foggy, a perfect stay inside day for a hot bowl of tasty soup.

5. October 20, 2012 at 11:27 am

LOL Mary I am still giggling about your comment on State of Wonder….

LOVE this post. Those chips are something else, and such a cute idea to serve along with the Witch’s Brew. Too cute!

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane is one of my all-time favorite books. I also liked The House of Velvet and Glass. I know you loved it that the witches’ familiars were dogs….got to love that Arlo!

Enjoy your weekend….we’re @ the lake this weekend. YAY!

6. October 20, 2012 at 11:39 am

Sounds delicious, and I love those chips! Wish we had a World Market here. Love the cauldron. xo

7. October 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! You never fail to inspire me!! Have a great weekend my talented friend.

Hugs from Idaho,
    Susan and Bentley

8. October 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Oh, I love this! another so well put together post! Must find some of those mini-cauldrons…!
    The finger sandwiches are fantastic!

9. October 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm

The soup looks wonderful, Mary. I love those fingers!

10. October 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Mary, that soup looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I would have to change it up a bit because of Leo’s chicken allergy. By the time I would finish with it, it would be a totally different soup! I love those little cauldrons and the finger sandwiches!

11. October 20, 2012 at 9:22 pm

A wealth of inspiration always greets me when I open up one of your posts, Mary. The stew looks delicious, especially server in those darling mini cauldrons. Gotta find some of those cute fright bites. ;-)

12. October 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I love these chips! So amazing and love your styling !

– The Tablescaper

13. October 20, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I am SO relieved to know that you bought those chips. When I first saw them I just figured you’d made them, and I wanted to shoot myself. ;-)

14. Happier Than A Pig in Mud
    October 21, 2012 at 5:10 am

Sounds like a great soup Mary and fun post as always! Happier than a witch in a broom factory… I likey:@)

15. October 21, 2012 at 9:18 pm

What a wonderful, fun post, Mary! I see you use a Hamilton Beach slow cooker. The HB brand was invented in my home town of Racine, Wisconsin ;)

16. October 21, 2012 at 11:41 pm

The soup sounds delicious and the FINGERS look good too! The chips are wonderful. EVERY one of your posts make me smile. You are a wonderful witch:):) XO, Pinky

17. October 22, 2012 at 12:14 am

I agree, what a fun post, and as always, I really enjoy your photos. :)

18. October 22, 2012 at 7:52 am

I’m so glad to see this at ON THE MEMU MONDAY! Those mini cauldrons are fabulous!!! You do spooky in the most upscale way, Mary!

19. October 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Love that last picture you posted! Very appropriate for Halloween!

20. October 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Yikes! It’s scary just reading about it!!!

xxoo,

RMW

21. October 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm

We have a traditional Halloween meal–chili and cornbread. I always made it early in the afternoon, and the kids had to eat an early dinner before they went out trick or treating. That way they wouldn’t eat so much candy along the way! I love your recipe, though!!!

22. October 24, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Very creative ‘W’ post for Witches ~ wonderful photography of fun delights ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

23. October 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I may just try this cauldron of deliciousness (and the tortilla chips completely cracked me up.) Great ideas.

24. October 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I am positively drooling over your hat in the first shot! It’s fabulous! This is a wonderful fun post for the season! I admit, I giggle every time I see that witch in a broom factory commercial.

25. October 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm

You always set such a fun table and this is no exception!

26. October 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm

what a lot of meal ideas. WOW. I saw the witches’ fingers before, on Pinterest – very cute! {:-Deb

27. Sue
    October 25, 2012 at 8:20 pm

What a delightful meal and presentation. You are just so good at this! Always amazing.

=)

28. November 5, 2012 at 10:51 am

Wow. What a wonderful wander through your gorgeous blog!

I always enjoying exercising my jaw here.

You know?

Because it keeps dropping over every cool picture and idea you have!

Thanks for all the effort you put into your posts!

A+

29. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life
    October 22, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Love the witches tortillas, how fun is that. Great chili. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

30. linda kemp
    October 29, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I have so much fun just looking at your posts. Thanks.

31. Betty819
    October 11, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I had to go back over your pictures several times to find the mini caldrons everybody commented about..finally found them. This soup looks delicious but I don’t like shredded chicken; wonder what ground beef or stew meat would taste like in your recipe? Everything is magical in your tablescapes as always. Thanks for sharing!

32. October 11, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Hi Betty, I’m sure ground beef would be equally as good brewing in your cauldron :)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,354 other followers