DSC_9275.1-001

Everyone is a little Irish on St. Patrick’s Day and I have an appetizer that’s healthy to help you celebrate, Avocado-Hummus Dip with Spinach Tortilla Shamrock Chips!

These edible shamrocks start with a package of spinach tortillas from the grocery store. Cut out your shamrocks with your cookie cutter and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. I found my shamrock cookie cutter at Michaels.

Spritz your shamrocks with olive oil or baking spray and sprinkle with sea salt, then bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes until tortilla shamrocks are crisp. My shamrock chips took about 6 minutes to crisp up in the oven.

Pull them out before they start to brown and allow the chips to cool.

Avocado-Hummus Dip is easy to whip up in your food processor! If you’re a fan of hummus and guacamole, I think you’ll like this mash-up and healthy dip!

Avocado Hummus

Avocado-Hummus Dip, recipe courtesy of Food and Wine

Ingredients

2 medium Hass avocados, peeled and chopped

15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste) usually found near the nut butters at the grocery store

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling

Kosher salt

Freshly ground pepper

In a food processor, purée the avocados with chickpeas, lemon juice and tahini. Add 1/2 cup of oil and purée until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the dip to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil.

Serve with spinach tortilla shamrock chips or an Irish flag formation of healthy veggies~ green, white and orange! I used celery, cucumber, cauliflower, carrot and orange bell pepper or use the veggies of your choice for dipping.

You can find a printable recipe, here.

You can find a round-up of St. Patrick’s Day recipes and table inspiration, here.

DSC_9273

For each petal on the shamrock

This brings a wish your way–

Good health, good luck, and happiness

For today and every day.

~ Irish Blessing

Avocado-Hummus Dip with Shamrock Chips and Irish Flag Veggies

Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

Thank you for your visit, I’m joining:

Metamorphosis Monday,

The ScoopWow Us Wednesdays,

Home Sweet Home,  Feathered Nest Friday

Foodie Friday and Everything Else Link Party

15 comments for “Healthy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Avocado-Hummus Dip with Spinach Tortilla Shamrock Chips!

1. Ellen Stillabower
    March 17, 2016 at 7:25 am

Love the Hummus and the chips..don’t know if I can get the hubby to eat this, but I will try!!! Have a fun filled wear’in o the green!! HAPPY ST. PATTY’S DAY!! 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

2. March 17, 2016 at 7:51 am

What a great little appetizer. So clever with the festive chips – great snack for a boat ride!

3. March 17, 2016 at 7:51 am

Hi Mary, I made these shamrocks a few weeks ago and I didn’t watch them, so I burned them to a full black crisp! The recipe I was following had them cooking for 10-15 minutes! Your instructions are much better and your shamrocks are perfect! The dip sounds delicious. My family loves hummus and I’m having a houseful soon so I think I will make some chips and dip. Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Linda

4. March 17, 2016 at 8:02 am

What a yummy, healthy appetizer, Mary! Hummus is a favorite around here, and having the added bonus of avocado would make it even better. Those ☘ tortilla chips are perfect, along with the veggies. Loved the Irish Blessing that you shared. Happy St. Patrick’s Day fun to you, sweet Mary!

5. Michelle
    March 17, 2016 at 8:03 am

Happy St. Patrick’s day! Love the hummus! Chips are cute!

6. Sue
    March 17, 2016 at 8:07 am

Happy St Patrick’s Day Mary!!!! Love the little shamrocks.xoxo

7. March 17, 2016 at 9:04 am

What a cute and great idea!….love, love it Mary!….Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

8. March 17, 2016 at 12:01 pm

This all looks so nummy—really love the crackers—which you could do in any shape…Nummy! Sandi

9. March 17, 2016 at 1:11 pm

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Erin go Bragh, Mary!

10. March 17, 2016 at 7:41 pm

I like your green food choices, Mary. I’m going to try making my own chips. Great idea to bake them. Hope you and your girls are having a great St. Patrick’s Day.

11. Cynthia Raines
    March 18, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Sounds oh so good! Will put this on my must try list! I LOVE humus and avocado, so I know I’ll Love this! Thanks Mary!

12. March 19, 2016 at 9:14 am

Sounds so good Mary, and the cute shamrock chips are the best! I think avocado must be the new “black,” is seems to be all the rage in healthy cooking these days…I’ve seen it in a lot of chocolate dessert recipes lately…Hope you had a wonderful Irish celebration! Happy Spring~