Chili Weather Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread!

Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread

I have a recipe that’s perfect for chili and chilly weather, Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread!

DSC_2002-001

This recipe is an oldie but a goodie and easy to make and enjoy with a bowl of soup or chili.

DSC_1993-001

My sister introduced me to this recipe from Southern Living’s 5-Star recipe collection about 20+ years ago. I’ve seen a couple of variations of this cornbread recipe over the years, with the addition of sour cream or cottage cheese but this is the version we’ve always made.

Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread

The original recipe calls for baking this cornbread in an 8 x 8 pan but my hubby likes it a little thinner so I use an 12 x 8 pan. Either way is delicious resulting in a moist cornbread that sneaks in some green veggies.

DSC_1967-001

Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread

1 (10-oz) pkg. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and patted dry

1 (8½-oz) pkg. cornbread mix (Jiffy)

3 eggs, beaten

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 cup (4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used a cheddar blend)

1 / 2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

DSC_2010.1-002

Preheat oven to 375°. Grease 8×8-in. square pan and set aside.  (Use a 11 x 7 or 12 x 8 pan for thinner squares.) Combine cornbread mix with eggs, onion, cheese, butter, garlic salt and cayenne. Stir in broccoli. Pour into prepared pan and bake about 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Allow to cool slightly before cutting  into squares.

You can find a printable recipe, here.

Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread

Metamorphosis Monday,

The Scoop,  Inspire Me Tuesday,

Wow Us Wednesdays,  Foodie Friday

27 comments for “Chili Weather Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread!

1. emily antonecchia
    January 8, 2016 at 6:50 am

Looks delicious…..I am going to a church soup luncheon Sunday and this is going with me….oh, you are so timely! Thanks

2. Michelle
    January 8, 2016 at 7:00 am

Yum! Just perfect for these chilly night meals. Comfort food! Happy New Year! Have a great weekend!

3. January 8, 2016 at 8:08 am

It is definitely chili and cornbread weather here. Cold winter temperatures outdoors make us want to eat more. The cornbread looks great!

4. January 8, 2016 at 9:15 am

Broccoli makes it diet friendly right? Looks easy and delicious Mary!

5. Ellen Stillabower
    January 8, 2016 at 9:22 am

I’ve made this with many other additives but not broccoli.. Thank you for the new recipe.. It is now chili weather here..nothing better than cornbread with chili, beef stew or bean soup!!!! Yum, yum!! 😍👍🏻💨🌬🌨❄️🌬💨

6. January 8, 2016 at 9:29 am

This sounds great, Mary, and so pretty, too. I’ve made the jiffy cornbread mixed with corn and cheese, but never this version. Thanks for sharing this colorful version. I’ll be trying it soon! I fixed a ham yesterday and this would be great when I make a pot of ham and bean soup.
    Happy weekend to you!

7. Annie
    January 8, 2016 at 10:22 am

I have made this & it is divine…thanks for reminding me as we are in ‘chili season’! Xoxo

8. Melissa Leach
    January 8, 2016 at 10:34 am

Never heard of this before, it looks beautiful and I’m sure is delicious. Perfect for chili! Thanks for posting :)

9. January 8, 2016 at 10:34 am

Not only do you have amazing pictures – you put out drool worthy food craving, ‘how to make it’ ideas. I just love your blog. You actually make me want to take down the sign in my kitchen that says – “I kiss better than I cook” as you have me thinking with this recipe that just maybe I can cook.

10. Sherlie Magaret
    January 8, 2016 at 10:39 am

Yum, this looks so good.

11. January 8, 2016 at 11:28 am

It’s funny how you forget about certain recipes but you’ve reminded me just how good this is old favorite really is. I haven’t found a single person who doesn’t like it!

12. Paula
    January 8, 2016 at 6:12 pm

~Mary~
    Looks very good! I think my sister and her husband will enjoy this when I take it to them, !! My hubby would never eat this , the only veggie he knows is corn :( I know boring right ??!!

Thanks Mary :)

Paula
    IN

13. January 8, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Oh, You make me want to have some girlfriends over for lunch. I am sure they will be impressed.

14. Stephanie
    January 8, 2016 at 11:22 pm

I am so making this tomorrow. It will be a soup and corn bread day!

Thanks for posting!

15. January 9, 2016 at 11:48 am

How could I have never heard of this cornbread before. I love it and will have to make it soon. :)

16. January 12, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Mary, cornbread is a favorite of mine and I want to try this recipe! Soup and cornbread is perfect on a cold, winter’s evening! Thanks for all your great recipes! Pam @ Everyday Living

17. January 12, 2016 at 7:06 pm

I can’t wait to make this, Mary!! DH hated cornbread (“too dry” he always said) and he wasn’t fond of broccoli, either. Nobody to stop me from making it now!! LOL
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. It is FREEZING up here…15º with a wind chill near zero. We got 4″ of snow & the wind is howling. How perfect this would be tonight!!!

18. Carolyn
    January 12, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Had to google how to find the square inches of a pie pan….you know pi ?!! I want to bake this in 2 pie pans and freeze one for later!! Area = 3.14 x (radius x radius) ! Happy New Year, Mary!

• Carolyn
      January 15, 2016 at 9:12 am

And the two cornbreads turned out picture perfect! Thank you for the recipe!

19. January 20, 2016 at 11:17 pm

That looks so delicious!! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

20. February 8, 2016 at 10:56 pm

This was really great. I used spinach instead of broccoli and cut down the butter and cheese in half. It was very moist and had great flavor.

21. TIfah
    January 14, 2017 at 9:45 am

Do we put the 1/3 cup of milk in also like the Jiffy Mix requests?

• January 14, 2017 at 9:48 am

No follow the recipe as written.

22. February 5, 2018 at 12:59 pm

I thought this was wonderful, but my husband and 2 year old devoured the whole pan like it was cake! I’ll definitely have to make this again!

• February 5, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Good to hear! Thanks for letting me know 😀

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w